1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ok need advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TurfKing360, Jan 15, 2011.

1. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

I have a freind of one of are best and biggest commercial clients that needs his personal driveway done. Now we only do commercial work but since no other company can seem to do this driveway we have been asked to plow it. Now I already agreed to plow it but I don't know how I should price it. How do you price a 7 acre driveway yes thats right I said seven acres of a residentail driveway. Do I price it like its commercial or should I price it some other way
  2. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

I would put it in the "blend" it in with the price of the commercial lot you do. if that is not an option for you this year then tell him you will do it for free if he signs off on a multi year deal where you can slide the pricing into it and be covered. Some people will call this un ethical i call it job security i'll take the latter!
  3. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

no its the friend of the commercial client that has this driveway so no commercial lot to attach it to or I would have done that no problem. I just am not sure commercial pricing is the same as resi. but considering no one else can seem to do this drive or has the right equip to do so I just want to be fair and not cause problems between my client who recommended us and his friend
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

How is it 7 acres. How long by how wide? Gotta get a clearer picture of what you got going on here.
  5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I think it depends on what he expects to pay if he's a "really good" friend of your best customer. I'm DEFINITELY not saying do it at a loss, but tread lightly. On the flip of the coin, if they can afford a property with a 7 acre driveway they probably won't sneeze at a 7-8-9 hundred dollar plow bill......
  6. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

I would tell the guy what your hourly rate is. Then tell him that you will do it at a 40% discount off the hourly rate for the first time in order for you to get acquanted with the driveway. Then you can give him a accurate figure on how much the driveway will cost based on how much snow is on it. Tell him the 40% deal only applies if you are given the contract for the rest of the season, sign here.
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

This was my first thought.
  8. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

Holy cow ! 7 acres ?

That would make it a private road, not a driveway. An acre is historically 66' wide by 660' long. For argument sake, lets say the "drive" is 33' wide, then it's length would be 9240'. A mile is 5280', so this "drive" would be about 1.75 miles long.

Cool Job to do !
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

why is no one doing it this year would be my first question
    too cheap? too picky? PITA to plow?
  10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

FIRST OFF,I NEVER HAVE HEARD SOMEONE DESCRIBE DRIVEWAY LENGTH IN ACRES.Probably that's because it's simply incorrect.An acre describes a square foot size of a parcel.What the OP probably meant to say is that this guy lives on a 7 acre lot,which doesn't tell us spit how long and wide the driveway is.In theory,it could very easily be 50'x 12'.
  11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Will we ever find out?:confused:
  12. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

Ok lets face it yes the guy obvipusly has money no question there. Yes the guy is probably picky. the drive is probably 30 wide by close to half mile long has huge turn around and parking by the house then a short drive maybe 60 x 150 to garages then about a 20 wide by 600-700 drive to back yard and shed/barn and parking area along the side of the barn. I was going on what the guy told me this morning. He said 7 acres it more like 2-3 acres of concrete. Must be to challanging for the other plowers but I built this company on taking the pita clients. I bs'd with him to day threw some numbers around and he accepted and signed. should do good on this. thanks everyone for your help
  13. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

Take some pics and let us know how big it really turns out to be.

We have some houses around here with large driveways as well....