1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OK...My turn to vent!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by flakesmeangreen, Mar 11, 2003.

1. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Customer called me a few weeks ago concerning the snow piles at his house. Said that the one in front of the window is too high and that he's concerned about the shrubbery being damaged. Also, the other 2 piles could be pushed back further. Tried to explain to him that there probably isn't too much I can do now (the snow has been there since December). Also said that I didn't honestly believe that there was much more room to push the piles back and simply had no choice but to pile the one in front of the window high or the driveway would end up getting blocked. Of course he disagreed about everything I said.

Last week he called again with basically the same complaint and asked if I could break down the piles some. During the last storm I chipped away a little at the one pile in front of the window. Of course, there was nothing I could do with the other piles (pushing them back more).

Customer calls again yesterday. Said he was up this weekend (vacation home) and it didn't look like I did anything to the existing piles. Explained to him what I did. He asked if I could "take the top off of the pile?". I tried to explain to him how a plow works, that the pile is frozen, that it can't do that and also that the plow doesn't go that high. He said that can't be right since he shoveled his porch off without a problem! I was really beginning to get PO'ed at him by this point. No matter what what he asked, no matter what my answer was, he always knew better! He ended the conversation with some sarcastic remark about "I guess I'll just shovel it myself" and then hung up!

During the whole conversation I was trying to educate him but he simply didn't want to learn.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I also did this drive last year and he had no complaints. All the piles are in the same place as last year. He didn't have a problem with it then. Should have said something last year if he saw a problem.

Alright, I think that's it for now. I'll get a pic of this today and post it later for your opinions.

-Tim

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Tell him you could rent a backhoe and get it knocked down. Shouldn't cost more than about $200 rental and another $200 in labor.

3. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I would do the same exact thing as mick said. tell him u need a backhoe to do the work he requests and it'll cost him X amount of dollars and thats it. If he doesn't want to pay then yes hes going to have to shovel it himself.

4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Tell him :waving: and say next year maybe you can find a plow driver whos a God and can perform a miracle on your snow.

Good luck my friend it sounds like you've got a tough one on your hands.

Jay

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

yes by all means that is what i would tell him and it would be a day rental for the machine and then $35 and hour for the operator. You will not hear another word from him but if you do it get him to sign off on it first .

6. farmertim

farmertim Member

How the Universe works in 500 words or less

I feel your pain having gone through the same many times with my clients, even if it does'nt snow.
    There is a theory, sorry I don't know its name if it has one, that everybody must have a situation to deal with at all times.
    If they are not faced with one, they will create it.
    Even if it is so absurd to the viewing public that this person is temporarily insane, they will take it to its illogical end and feel they have accomplished something.
    You my friend was his daily dose of feeling connected to the world, and yes you were used and picked on.
    And all we want to do is push snow...
    Bright spot of this theory the lunatics usually never complain about the same thing twice.
    Sometimes variations on that theme, but never identical to the last.
    Those who do are insane, feel free to drop them. For next time they may shoot at you!
    If they can see over the piles in the front yard!!

7. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Had one just like that myself:D

Back in middle of january went to plow him and there's this sign on a broom stick stuck in the snow pile saying PUT NO MORE SNOW HERE and yes it was in big bold letters :D

His driveway has a hedge all along the length of it and only one open area to push it into between his house and the garage.

At the beginning of the winter I had been pushing all the way out into the area behind the garage and house and by this time it(the pile) was out almost to the front of the garage. The Pile was 10' wide X 40' long X 5' high.
    And the banks along his driveway were 3' high

Told him he needed to make room for future storms by moving the pile and he didn't want that done.
    Thought that somehow I could magically just get rid of it .

Told him that In his contract there was a clause reguarding just this type of thing (snow removal).

He still didn't want to pay for it so I told him to wait till spring and it'd be gone.
    And that since he didn't want to abide by the contract that he could find someone else to do his snowplowing for the rest of the winter.

Dan

8. Where's the Contract?

Tim,

In your contract, don't you have something like this?

If so remind him.
    Or is this something I added?

Bob

9. Tim,

Thought you sent me a copy of what you were using.??

10. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

Get the backhoe pick up the pile and put it back in the driveway. Then tell him to move it with a shovel. I am so tired of stupid donkey customers this season. Would serve him right, love to see him move the snow.:drinkup:

11. orenlasko

orenlasko Senior Member

ooooh yeah baby....

i would love to bury some of my customers. i have one plaza i was cleaning in a cnowfall, and had first cleaning done by 8am in time for opening, and it is still sonwing hard, so i didnt concentrate on doing the neatest job, some stuff fell off to the sides of the blade. dont u know the guy called to complain about the condition of the lot! i'm telling u, if i hear one more " it's been a long winter" from one more person, i'm going to snap. we get no respect at all.

oren.

12. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

It's Been a................

Sorry had to. But its true. harder than usual:drinkup:

Cheer up We will all be able to ride our scooters soon

13. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

KAW....Ya got that right ! Last summer i fractured
    my arm so no gettin' my knees in the breeze !
    BUMMER !......Better now and can't wait ! BEEN
    getting lots of physical therapy on my arm from
    operating my cab command controller and shifting
    from F to R.....LOL Lots of plowing this year !
    .........geo

Last edited: Mar 11, 2003
  14. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

geo, What you ride? I'm on a 75 kaw z1 900

15. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Remeber that if the piles are too big for the customer, then a backhoe could be too small.... you might have to rent a wheel loader.... bigger toys for bigger boys.... and it will cost him more.... but that you will accomidate his request... just get a cc, blank check or cash... oh say $900 .... and you will take care of it

It cost more for snow removal..... your removing his snow piles... and moving them to another place.....

Pete

16. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

Tim, this season I have had some dumb*** complaints..,I am glad the season is over, Next year there will be some major revisions in the contract,

My cell number isn't a customer service hotline:realmad:

17. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

kawdude, if I remember right, that bike should be maroon with bright red stripes. I knew someone who had one, very cool machine. How many miles must be on it by now?

18. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

cell phone

only 2 of my customers have my cell # . The rest call my land line leave a message and I take care of them as I see fit .I dont want that phone causing problems . is it a perfect arrangement ,no but it keep me sane

19. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

KAW......78 Triumph Bonneville 750......Had
    this one almost 15 years ! I have had HDs
    and a couple of Kaws too. My FASTEST one
    was a 900 two stroke Kaw! Blew it up !
    My most favorite was my 75 Norton Commando
    silver jubillee (spl) 850. Got tired of it wanted
    a HD, stupid me, sold it for peanuts...Today worth $$$$$$$$$.......geo

Wheres ROB aka 75V from Canada? .............
    With his new woman...He was gonna get together
    with me in the 1000 Islands so we could get our
    "knees in the breeze" on his HD.

20. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

Don`t forget the Kaw.750 2 stroke,my my that thing was fast. Think they made it one year.