1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ok, Its official, Im moving down south to plow snow!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fastrunner2, Jan 2, 2003.

1. fastrunner2

fastrunner2 Junior Member
    from ILL

This is the wierdest crap ive ever seen... I have plowed snow one time this year and it melted two days later.. how came i make any money plowing snow 2-3 times a year. There has been quite a few good snow storms in indiana, missouri, kansas?? whats up with that.. I think our town has seen 8 or 9 inches of snow so far to date. I cant even go snowmobiling anymore,, kinda scaring the hell out of me! what about you guys, are you getting any snow by you??? hope so,, later.
  2. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Where are you at in MI? Not sure where, but I have plowed 4 times this year, and up until the 50 degree temp we had on monday, we kept the snow from most of the last three weeks... I to remember how hard last year was, and could only wish for the snow like we used to get, when we wondered how many feet, not how many inches....

**Please, Just SNOW**
  3. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

LOL where are both of you located in Mi? You can enter your location in your profile. I am in Muskegon and have plowed only once as well and it was very borderline to being 2" Now if you go south to Holland they have plowed 3-4 times and North of Grand Rapids a few times and also South of GR. It has been VERY spotty this year for sure. Everyone 20-30 miles away from me in all directions have had more snow than me.:( I agree though that winters are not what they were when I was a kid. Two years ago we had 105" in Muskegon and last year we had 51":confused: This year so far 12" (I think). I did hear that artic cold will be here soon so that means lake effect.

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Bring it on, and keep it coming!!!

I am around Lansing ( Mid Michigan Central), it's been an OK start, but it needs to pick up. I had something like 4, then 3, then 7 and then 4 inches for this year... more coming today I hear... we will see... the 3-6 sounds like will be closer to 1-3 on the local radio... who knows... I am ready for it.....
  5. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Paying the bills with just snow money is probably a thing of the past! Keep the day job and hope for snow as a supplement.
  6. MLB

MLB Senior Member

NE Indiana

has had ONE snow event this year (before tonight :):drinkup:
  7. push4$$

push4$$ Junior Member

Weird weather indeed.Southern Vermont has gotten FEET of snow this season with more in the forecast.While northern Vermont has gotten INCHS with not much in the forecast. My snowmobiles are sitting in the corner of my shop collecting dust.I havn't even registered or got TMAs this year yet.I guess I'll just have wait and see what happens.:rolleyes:
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Wierd weather pattern? Woke up this morning to nothing - No snow had fallen all night, no precipitation at all. On the way to work, the guy on radio reported school closings and delays within a few miles of me. What?? Got to work and someone who commutes from about 30 miles south driven most of the way in blinding snow. Come to find out, snow was on three sides of us, still nothing here all day. Amazing. Supposed to be another one here tomorrow night, then again Saturday. We'll see.
  9. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I feel your pain, fastrunner. Very very frustrating. I've been Mr. Mom lately around the house since my wife has been working to make up the difference. I've been baking casseroles, vacuuming the floor, doing dishes, feeding the kids etc. It's not bad but I'd rather be pushing snow and making real money and have her stay home to do the things she'd rather be doing. Like doing the laundry!

This worthless weather pattern is supposed to change next week. I heard Greg McMaster (local weatherguy) mention Alberta Clippers. We'll see soon enough. I'm up here in Traverse City by the way.
  10. fastrunner2

from ILL

yeah, i am in south haven area... only pushed snow once this year, usually we get lake effect.. nothing so far.. they called for 10-16 inches of lake effect snow last month, like early december, we go a dusting.. i love the weathermen. later. and pray for snow.
  11. Nebraska

Nebraska Member
    from Midwest

Guys come through Nebraska on your way and pick us up....Got four very bored trucks to add to the Convoy! Could even add my brother's 2 trucks to the mix....I'm sure most of them down there would enjoy the help!
  12. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Hey Sdlawndawg
    I hear about "mr. Mom" I doing exactly the same thing these last two weeks except I don't cook! I even cleaned the laundry room installed new lights and I even got plans to build new shelfs with a special space for each of my three kids! The laundry my job anyway. I't snowing right now but it's suppose to rain later. Meamwhile everyone here has clean towels!
  13. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

It's been almost 5 weeks now. Time to put away the vacuum and hook the plow up. There's snow out there! Only a couple inches but I'll take it.
  14. fastrunner2

from ILL

yeah, i woke up this morning to plow a whopping 1.5 -2 inches!!!! Me and my buddy were all joking this morning, saying, better get it done before sunrise, cause its gonna melt and there will be nothing by noon. i got done at 8 30 this morning and its already melting. funny stuff.
  15. wsmm

wsmm Member

snow what snow

I live about 48 miles north of Saginaw. Haven't had to plow yet this year. All the time I worked in Saginaw miserable roads, now that I'm working near home, about 7 miles, we've had good weather. Just hope this job goes from part time to full time soon as I really like it and the people I work with. I just keep praying that it'll happen soon. I gave up plowing for money years ago, insurance cost and vehicle cost just got crazy and I had to contend with too many mavericks. Of course this was when I lived in the city. Now living 150 miles further north in the country for the last 16 years and only plow my own and brother in laws driveway. Mine is abot 2000' long though the field and woods.
  16. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Sounds like most of you guys are ahead of me. We were supposed to get snow Saturday night (1-3") so got the Bobcat loaded and hooked to the truck and got the 03 all dressed up and loaded. Woke up nothing, just the flurries from the night before. :realmad: About the only good thing that happened out of the mess was that I got a couple of calls from places that wanted to get salted. So I at least got a chance to use the sander for the first time. Oh well. I geuss that I just have to watch The Weather Channel and drool about the guys out east.
  17. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I here ya about the snow melting, I plowed a couple schools monday morning, by noon, my driveway was melted off

This weekend looks good. Lets just hope the weather guessers are due for a correct guestimate:waving: :drinkup:
  18. Nebraska

Nebraska Member
    from Midwest

Everyone is out here saying "what beautiful weather!" January 7th with 60 degree highs is NOT beautiful weather.......People everywhere are WATERING THEIR YARDS!

Still nothing in Eastern Nebraska.

This is AMAZING!

P.S. Did some research on accuracy of forecasts.... They report that they are only accurate 75% of the time for 24 hours. For the 5 Day forecast the accuracy falls to around 25%. Two jobs in the world that pay for this kind of accuracy: Weather Forecaster & Financial Advisors!
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2003