1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ok i need some input

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fisher guy, Jan 3, 2010.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

hey everyone I need some input on a issue im having with my boss. As some of u guys know i have a pretty weird deal with my boss. But for those of u who dont the deal here it is. me and my boss go way back so far back I was actually named after him and his brother. I grew up with him somewhat as he used to take me for rides in the back hoe and go plowing with him when i was a kid. Well about 13 years ago my family moved down to florida because of my dads asthma when i was 8. Well long story short i had a pretty good but short career (3years)in florida as an equipment operator till the market dropped last year so I was in a pickle well my Mike (my present boss) called me and offered me a job in mass driving one of his plows so i went for it.

Everything was good and then he asked if i would be willing to put a sander in my truck he was offered to pay my truck payment $450 a month put me under his insurance and pay for any damages done to the truck caused by the sander and pay my normal hourly rate ($14.00 an hour) oh and my fuel. at the time it seemed like a good deal so i took him up on it so Jan. of last year I bought a plow for my truck and he offered me to sub for him at $65.00 an hour but still paying everything as said before. so it worked for me i made the deal it worked decent last year

now here we are 2009-2010 I spent the summer in florida to get my CDL and look for a more steady job but alas the market is still in the crapper so mike calls me and practically begs me to come back to run the sander because he doesnt have a truck to put it in ok no prob i come back I broke up with my g/f at the time and left my 3 yr old doberman and came back to mass flat butt broke. i drove from central florida to salisbury mass in less then 23 hours to be here in time for the next storm but all we got was rain.
    We put the sander in the truck and put my plow back together in less then a day.

well here we are 1/2/09 and now mike is starting to pull some shady deals latly like right off the bat i was here for 1 week and only got an 6 hour check at 14.00 an hour when i told mike i cant live off that and reminded him i was broke he gave me 100.00 to "get me by till work picks up" well it picks up a little bit and i got a 36 hour check, 2 hours plowing, and the $450 he owes me for the truck payment coming my way which is fine with me he asked me my hours and i told him how many i had he said no prob but he was gonna put me on pay roll which was discussed before and it was no prob. So then he calls me and tells me "hey I cant afford to pay u for 36 hours can I pay u for 20 hours and hit u the rest next week?" ok no problem i know ur good for it i tell him. Well I pick up my check and its only for 197.70:eek: its only for $12 an hour so I immediately call him and see what the deal was and he said "I can only pay u $14 an hour for winter stuff (salting shoveling) not the rest (garbage,construction) when i tell him that would of been nice if he would of told me that earlier he said " sorry but thats how buisness goes"

ok so i take it in stride and think to myself is it really worth being on call 24hrs a day 7 days a week for only 12.00 an hour but alas its a job and I need it so ill take it i'll go solo next year but as long as i got the sander im trapped. well yesturday i called him because hes late paying me the truck payment (luckily i have it covered) he said dont worry about it I'll have the money for u in a few days but I honestly dont know if i can trust him anymore

so now today we got 4-6 inches of snow and he only called me in to plow for 30 minutes at one of our condos and that was it. I just dont know what to do anymore hes been like a big brother to me my whole life and now it just seems likes hes going out of his way to screw me i dont wanna believe it but its starting to look like it. i asked my father about it all because my father practically raised him and even he said find another job hes taking advantage of u.

I belive im in the right I mean I thought i did everything right im usually up before him checking lots on cold and snowy nights if he calls i drop everything to be at work Im the only one that does maintence on equipment. i just dont know what to do thats why i came on here and had to ask what would u do if u were in my shoes? what do some of the business owners think of all this? Am I in the wrong? I know its to late to find another gig. even if i did would it be wrong to use the sander as leverage to get on with another company?

Like i said before we go wayyyyy back he was like a big brother to me so i dont want to screw him over and say take ur sander off my truck and find someone else to do it or buy another truck because im done but at the same time is it fair that i have to kill my truck for 12-14 an hour not knowing if im gonna be paid or not

2. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

You need to take in the the fact that he is making your truck payment as payment to. When you look at a regular job the pay might be low but you also look at the benifits they are giving you as pay to. But it also sounds like he has changed the agreement between the 2 of you which needs to be corrected on his part and hold up his end.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I'd drop the sander off at his yard and say ADIOS ...........

4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like his business isn't doing so well either...

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

if he is like a big brother, then i would say go and talk to him. most of my family works for me, my brother is a foreman for me, my father is may mechanic, and my mother does my books and works as secretary, and when we started this arrangement, we all agreed that no matter what, we would be able to talk to each other. For the record, it sounds like he IS screwing you, i know if i had a issue with paying any of my employees (family or not) i would be talking to them about it, not waiting, and letting them come to me when i changed their agreement, good luck.

6. fisher guy

thanx guys im gonna sit him down tommorow and me and him are gonna have a lil talk hes never done anything like this to me before so im not ready just to drop the sander in his front yard just yet but at the same time i expect him to keep his side of the deal as i keep my side

7. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

good luck.... it's hard to talk business to friends and family. but business is business... can't work if your not gettin' paid

8. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's what is really honestly sounds like. I've had similar problems with companies promising work then pulling it away etc. I believe the real problem is he doesn't have the work and is too proud to tell you. He brought you all the way up there and then he is losing his ass. It's probably all he can do to pay the truck payment. Keep in mind up North this season, everyone and their brother plows and salts. The prices have came wayy down and he probably got underbid on a lot of stuff. He was probably banking on getting back his work and he lost it last minute and now he is screwed. Just sit him down and talk to him as a friend before jumping to conclusions. I would be willing to bet there is more to the story then him wanting to "screw you over".

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

try to work things out...if not then look for another part time job

10. fisher guy

well by some act of luck my luck is starting to turn around i got a call yesterday askin me to be back up on three local banks good paying to and another act of luck a friend off of here called me this morning his skid steer guy was a no show and i ran it for him paid good and kept me busy all day im going back out at 930 tonite to help with clean ups I havent had the oppurtunity to talk to mike with everything that went on today he never did call me to plow for him today but he did call to see what was goin on but i was busy i had no time to chit chat i think hes starting to get the hint hes not the only game in town anymore im starting to realize i dont have to depend off him

11. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

Ya gotta look out for yourself, because nobody else will... Sounds like you have your answer. Good luck to you.

12. fisher guy

than and ur right

13. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

It's always best to just sit down man-to-man and talk things over. See what's up. I really think that he is having some financial trouble with his business, because it sounds like he really likes having you work for him. But if he isn't willing to give you an answer and just push you aside, you gotta move on. Surround yourself with those who will make you successful.