1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OK I got better and have a positive attitude

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by techman1, Dec 8, 2006.

1. techman1

techman1 Junior Member

I guess some design engineering background comes in handy at times. Forget the damaged hydraulic lift pump. I am going to have a metal fabricator pal shear and bend a 4 foot piece of 3/8 steel plate and I'm going to use an electric winch to raise and lower the plow and I will have a big jack bolt to hold it up if I want to pull someone out of the ditch. I got a 2000 pound winch for $29 on sale. In my self education of snow plows, I see alot of 1940's technology. I would use electric actuators which are like gearmotor struts and can handle 1000lbs and forget the whole hydraulic thing and anything that can freeze up with that.

Forgive my frustration in a new horizon and virgin territory.

For you hydraulic guys, I haven't even read the posts. Just the titles about freezing up. Could you extend your transmission fluid cooling lines to the radiator or tee off the heater hose and wrap lines around your pump to heat it?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are you related to LLM Ann Arbor?:jester:

We all have to march to our own drummer..I guess..
    hey, good luck with your project show us some pics:waving:

3. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Your cheap 2000# winch might be the same as mine. Mine is made by Hulk Industries, but Id imagine there are several winches out there that are just rebadged versions of the same thing. It worked great for 1 1/2 seasons, then started to freeze up toward the end of last season and several times I had to hammer on it to get it to work. Last summer I took it apart and cleaned it, it was all rusty and the motor brush springs had turned to crumbled rust. I found the right size new springs from a closet door repair kit from Home Depot. I also put some sealing washers on the electrical connector studs, since thats really the only place all that moisture could have gotten in. Ive moved about 2 feet of snow in the last week and this season it works like new again. If I were you Id check into that and maybe just upgrade the thing from the start.

4. John T

John T Member

How are you getting the plow to move left and right?

manually?

5. popov_plow

popov_plow Junior Member

so are you doing this for kicks and giggles or are you actually gonna try and plow with it? It doesn't sound like it will be very reliable but I really admire your "pioneer" spirit.

6. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi