1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ok, I got a good one for you !!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Eyesell, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Have a scenario I want to run past the experts....

Ok, say a guy plowing and salting asks me to drive one of his trucks, he has full GL insurance, someone slips and falls at one of his accounts while I'm driving one of his trucks. Am I covered under his insurance policy while I'm in his company truck ?

Or....do I have to claim this under my own GL ins. that I carry while driving my company vehicle.??

Hope this makes sense..
  2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

You are NOT liable for any of that. You are an employee, not a sub contractor. Make sure he pays you as an employee. You have no connection to that lot or truck besides you are driving it. You don't need insurance of your own in this case. So don't even bring that up to the guy
  3. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

Exactly. Once you are told "what" to do, and when you are in someone else's vehicles, you are then, an employee.
  4. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

I agree with the other two posters.
  5. paponte

paponte Senior Member

It would really depend on how he's paying you. If you are getting paid as a subcontractor then you are just that, and liability can be brought on you. If you are plowing as an employee and getting paid on the books from his company then the company is liable. These days I think it's possible to almost get sued for anything. It's getting out of hand what accounts are asking for these days. Someone slips and falls, and goes after everyone they possibly can, it's just a matter of who's insurance company is going to pay, and who's not.