1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ok..i am dumb..

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by traviswalker007, Nov 14, 2006.

1. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

Hey guys I got to tell you what happened....i dont usually do stupid things of this magnitude but first time for everything..I was working on my strobe light cutting the cig lighter atachment so i could hard wire it...well i wanted to make sure it worked cuz i used a smaller gauge wire so i pluged it in my extension cord it worked for about 2 seconds...now im sitting there pondering my decesion and it finally dawned on me...12v vs 110v, not a good choice...i cant believe i did it...now im looking for a new strobe cuz i think the motor got fried...just thought id share that with yall....hope it made your day.
  2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

It did Bet it was bright for a second WOW
  3. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Ok I am dumb: I quote you said it not me LOL:D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2006
  4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

That's pretty funny stuff right there! Are you drunk?:D :D :D
  5. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Well, I feel better. I've done some goodun's, but that's a classic. I did get my first 24 volt shock the other day, kinda forgot about that possibility while installing a fan in a loader, the guy with me thought it was great.:eek:
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How did you fry a motor on a strobe???????????????
  7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I can't belive it actualy worked even for a second.
  8. F350 Snowman

F350 Snowman Senior Member

Thats Funny Right There! I dont care who you are.

Bad thing is noone got that on video, and I cant believe you even told us. Thats one of those.....no witnesses nobody needs to know...

BUT thanks for sharing.......
  9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Bet that bad boy was bright for about a second....;)
  10. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Thats a good one.

11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

He's AC/DC challenged. ;)
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

With a sever Voltage Disability.....:dizzy:

Just how did you go from your trucks 12v dc to your 110v ac on the wall??? lol:drinkup:
  13. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

that is what I was wondering as well?:D
  14. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

That is Funny! beer must have been involved!
  15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I saw a guy use a test light on a strobe light one time. When he hit the high voltage wire the test light lit up in his hand just like a strobe. Scared the bejesus out of him. Then it didnt work any more. I told him to put a strobe bulb in his test light.
  16. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

Beer...too much I guess

I was a bit tipsy, i dont drink much so 1 will about do it for me. I stripped the wires back and stuck them into the extension cord...ok there i said it...lol
  17. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Haha... that is exactly how I pictured it.:nod:
  18. edosher

edosher Member

That's like pissing on an electric fence as a kid.....
  19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

traviswalker007 AKA The Big Flash:D
  20. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

You know my physics proffessors often would encourage us to drink when working on homework such as for our quantum mechanics or for our thermo dynamics because for some wierd reason it was easier to wrap your mind around the 4th dimension and beyond. However I now understand why then never told us to drink to do our electronic and high voltage transformer homework/experiements. lol.

Err sir I just don't understand why went wrong. you said V=IR, well I figured if I took a 12 V system and raised to 120V, I only raised the current by a factor of 100. doesn't that mean that it should spin faster?

Change that from a strobe to a motor and 120 to 220V and you got what pretty much occured in one of our experimental labs. Guess thats why that kid no longer was a Physics major after that semester! :salute: