1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ok, Honostly answer this Question... I'm not a cop

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowKid150, Dec 1, 2004.

1. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Who here has pumped off-road diesel or home oil into their truck? Right about now its 2.50 vs. 168.....hmmmm that might encourage a few...

I'm just curious because around me when people try to do it, the workers usually run out screamin hahaha

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

what the heck is homeoil? is it like vegtable oil or something, or crisco? jk.. but seriosuly what is it?
  3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

He's referring to untaxed dyed home heating oil.

There are big fines out there for doing this.

To me, its not worth doing it. You get credit for tax on fuels anyway at tax time.
  4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I think hes talking about the fuel oil they use for heating there homes, my grandfather lives out in pa and uses it ..not sure exactly what kind of fuel it is though..
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Also, the cetane rating is unknown. Any additional additives (winterizers, etc) would also be absent.
  6. bcf

bcf Senior Member

things that make ya go hmmm...

It souds tempting, but L know my own luck with the law, and I can barley afford the fines for having a tail light out, or the damned DOT stops, let alone illegal fuel.
  7. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

sorry for not being thorough when talking about Home heating oil. Around here there is basically a few kinds of heat energy.... Natural Gas, Electric baseboard, and fuel oil for burning. This home heating oil is the same as diesel fuel, and it contains a dye which deciphers it as heating oil only and it is illegal to pump into diesel trucks. i just wanna know because its so much cheaper and i know people around here to it... i was wondering about harmful effects on the diesel motor.

Any more info....?
  8. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Additonally, any of you diesel buffs out there, explain what cetane is and what it is used for, and the negative effects of using this off-road stuff in your truck. Can that stuff like freeze up in ur tank in the winter? What is different about winter blend diesel? i have a lotta Q's about diesel since in a couple weeks i'll be owning one

Kevin :eek:
  9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Cetane Number is a measure of the ignition quality of a diesel fuel. It is often mistaken as a measure of fuel quality. Cetane number is actually a measure of a fuel's ignition delay. This is the time period between the start of injection and start of combustion (ignition) of the fuel. In a particular diesel engine, higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower cetane fuels.

Cetane number should not be considered alone when evaluating diesel fuel quality. API gravity, BTU content, distillation range, sulfur content, stability and flash point are also very important. In colder weather, cloud point and low temperature filter plugging point may be critical factors.

Diesel fuels with cetane number lower than minimum engine requirements can cause rough engine operation. They are more difficult to start, especially in cold weather or at high altitudes. They accelerate lube oil sludge formation. Many low cetane fuels increase engine deposits resulting in more smoke, increased exhaust emissions and greater engine wear.

Plus, without it being winterized, it will gell up solid if the temps drop.

I understand your curiosity, but it's just not worth it.
  10. Stickhauler

Stickhauler Junior Member

Hey Kevin,
    Check out www.thedieselstop.com. There are alot of different forums on there regarding diesel engines. They have a LOT of info. Just thought I'd let you know. Oh ya, you can kind of think of cetane in diesel as you would "octane" in a gasser. :drinkup:
  11. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Ok what about WVO, or bio-diesel. Anyone running this? It really blows my mind that people dump waste veggie oil into their diesel tank so long as its a 50/50 mix between WVO and diesel fuel. WOW
  12. lqmustang

lqmustang Member

Winter blend diesel help prevent jelling (sp?) in colder temperatures. Standard diesel can get pretty thick if it gets too cold. Run summer diesel when it's 10 degrees or colder outside and you might not get very far.
  13. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I drive a oil truck for a friend on occasion, I can load heating oil ( high sulfer and dyed red) , I can load off road diesel ( low sulfer and dyed red ) Or I can load clear diesel . The stuff with road tax . Those are the differences , a diesel truck will run on all of it . I highly suggest that you dont take the short cut to save pennies and run untaxed fuel , the fines are high .
  14. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

the bio is not just a 50/50 blend there is more chemistry involved in it. I also though it had soybean in it not just oil? Plus the main thing about it is lower emissions and a renewable resource. You are supporting your local farmers and reinvestin in the U.S. instead of Iraq and what not.
  15. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

one of my neighbors (divorced) had to put in a new heating oil tank and her old one still had quite a bit of heating oil in it. for what they were going to charge her to dispose of it she instead bought a hand pump for it and used it in her old mercedes diesel. by the way, this woman is more mechanical than most of us guys could ever hope to be (fixes up old cars,etc)
    well after a couple weeks she came out to her car at work one day and fuel was pouring out and soaking her parking spot + and she was in shock.
    something had deteriorated in her fuel lines or something.
    not sure what the actual repair ended up being and it was probably just a big coincidence, but i can tell you she will NEVER do it again!
  16. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

red fuel makes my truck run like @#$&(crap).
  17. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have used our loader fuel (off-road) in a pinch, but never on a regular basis.
  18. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Here we are exempt on the dieing of fuel.
    Basically there are 2 types of fuel #1 diesel and #2 diesel.
    #1 is refined more and produces about 11,500 BTU per Gal.

#2 Has Paraffin in it and produces about 14,500 BTU per Gal.

A blend is a mixture of both, usually around here 50/50 mix.

the paraffin will turn solid in cold weather and plug your filters so that is why you run ether #1 or a mix in the winter. There are additives available that keep the paraffin from freezing (turning solid), like "Power Service"

Home heating fuel for above ground tanks use #1 fuel w/die in the winter and #2 w/die for below ground and summer time.

Jet "A" is the same as Kerosene which is the same as #1 but filtered more.
    In my loader, grader, bobcats, compactor and any other off road equipment I run what ever is cheapest and suitable for the weather. Usually #2 or a blend or Jet "A" and in the trucks I run taxed fuel. I have seen no ill affects in 23 years of running these fuels this way in my equipment. By the way in our town of 30,000 people there are only 3 tanks that have fuel in them at the supplier. #1, #2, and Jet "A". When they did die the fuel it was done in the delivery trucks.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  19. selser420

selser420 Member

Hey all...I have a friend with a 60ft MAN articulated bus that runs on WVO. The best way to do that is to use a second tank for the WVO. The issue with running WVO is viscosity. The second tank has a heater in it and the lines are bundled along with coolant lines. We start the bus on diesel and switch to WVO once the motor is to temp(more importantly the WVO lines).
    Runs great, smells like french fries, eco-friendly, good for the lift pump, and best of all the fuel is FREE!!! The diesel engine was originally designed to run on peanut oil when Rudolph Diesel created it. You can check out the bus at http://www.bigwords.com/content/2004ecotour/
    also check out http://www.greasel.com/ for tons of info on WVO conversions.
    I know I will have one as soon as I own a diesel!!!

On a tangent side note......great site!!! I've been lurking for a year now and think its a great community for us crazy snow folk! I've been pushing for almost 10 years now....don't own a truck, but drive for someone else. The co. has grown from 3 drivers and 2 trucks five years ago to 10 trucks and a loader plus a 2 shovel crews!

Since its my first post I better weigh in on the hot debate topics......F350 or bigger, BOSS plows...although I would like to try a Blizzard after all I've read here, hydraulic salt spreaders are best, and Daniels has the best backplow(you guys with Snowman bp's are crazy...I hate those things!!!!) Just my opinions based on experience.

Now all I can do is wait for snow!!!!
  20. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It is basiacally the same stuff the difference is a flouresent dye is used in the un taxed oil (heating oil) and it lights up brightly under black light. Even if you only have 30% or so heatiol oil it will still glow. If you ever get caught the fines ar stiff and it is easy to check with a blacklight flashlight (in big short next tanks anyway)