1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ok guys, heres my report

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DYNA PLOW, Dec 14, 2000.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

got my urethane edge from DINO,heres how it went.
    it came in on monday, i was not at work so my dad brought it down to my shop for me(i was christmas shopping with the wife)anyway i stopped at his house before i went home and he says to me..... your thing came in today did you see it?
    he says, it's pretty floppy i got my doubts if its gonna work. i replied the guys on the net says it works so it must.
    i went home to look at it and he was right it is pretty floppy.
    tuesday afternoon i start to install it, got my new bolts and nylock nuts and also bought a 9/16 spade bit like Dino said. did some measuring and decided i would have to have a backing plate to give some strength to the back side.
    off to town to get a piece of bar stock.
    picked up a piece of 3/16 x4x 7'6" and drilled everthing
    to fit,that urethane stuff drills like butter with that spade bit.went on easily and plowed with it this morning.
    for you non beleivers that are still out there let me tell you this thing works. i plowed gravel, grass, uneven sidewalks, backdragged. this thing works better than any steel edge.
    THANKS DINO i will stamp this product with my seal of approval*****!!!!

slim jim, i put this on my snoway plow you got any ? i will be glad to answer.

plow on
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

My biggest question was if it would work with the down-pressure or not. I'm kinda thinkin that my black/gray plow will look a little funny with a yellow edge on it, but if they're worth it, then I guess I can live.

I'm tired.

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Who cares what it looks like if it works as advertised? I'm not too particularly happy with the aesthetic appeal of a rusted hunk of steel hanging below the mold board. Of course, putting the old edge over the U-edge as a washer doesn't exactly hide its rusted uglyness once you do put the ugly yellow edge on.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

ya i do get some funny looks with it being yellow
    and the old scraper edge bolted over the top of it.
    ya don't have to use the old rusty edge if ya have the ambition to build a new one with square holes for the carrige bolts.or skip the carrige bolts and use hex heads.
    i used stainless bolts only cuz thats all true value had in a 3" carrige bolt.
    down pressure works supberb espescially while back dragging.
    the coolest thing i like is the grass you glide over as
    well as uneven sidewalks.
    someone else said it best.(it's like plowing with a
    squege) its also very quiet.

get some rest,then wish for more gold.
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

The edge on my Fisher peeled up a lawn just as easily as the steel edge did ;)

Worked okay on the ice and slush we had this am, the only annoyance was it chattered over the pavement if I had it at anything more than a slight angle (very annoying). Left a washboard appearance like a single stage blower would leave. It only hangs down 1 1/2 inch from the blade. Dino, suggestions?
  6. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

how do they work on an old unevenly paved asphalt driveway?
    and how do they do on gravel lots?
  7. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I was the first one in my market to use sno-wings. Got some funny looks.

I was the first one in my market to have a vee plow. Got some more funny looks.

I was the first in my market to use Pro-Tech. Go some REAL funny looks.

I'm the first one in my market to use polyurethane. I don't care about funny looks anymore.

And, nobody laughs at us anymore either. They're all using wings and vee's, and now box blades are popping up everywhere too. Shouldn't be long before yellow cutting edges are floating round us too.
  8. steveair

steveair Senior Member

this may sound funny, but I'm serious. I would be interested in getting a poly edge for my toro dingo to bolt on to the buckets edge. If you read this Dino, do you have anything that might work?

First snow here, and I did my conc. walk in front of my house and well, it was beutiful. Same time I started, a snow company showed up down the street and started on a walkway about the same as mine.

Well, I got done in about 3 mins. They, with 3 guys, 2 shovels, and 1 snow blower, got done in 15. About a inch of ice/slush, that has to be scraped. The dingo scraped it right off.

As for the edge, the steel in catching on the expansion joints a little to rough. I bet a poly blade would slide right over them.

And by the way, the guys asked me for a card and said they may have a few accounts that I could help them out on. How bout that! Only problem is, I got the airport thing and have that as my number 1 priority. Dam full time stuff!

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

As of this morning, mine is piled up in front of my garage, urethane notwithstanding. I could care less, its getting replaced anyway in the spring, but hey loose pavement is just that, it will succumb...
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I also want to try a urethane edge. How does it work on hard pack? Does it dig in at all? Or is it more like a rubber blade in that aspect.
  11. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

I should have said, would the urathane conform better to the unevenness of the asphalt?(vs.a steel edge)
  12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

That is the only funny thing with the urethane, is that with minimal moisture, it will chatter. It will get better once the edge is worn in. In fact run down a dry road with it for a mile, and that will ease the edge in. As far as for peeling grass, it must have been loose from the warm weather on TUES. My grassy surfaces didnt peel at all.But the fisher may weigh more than my v plow.
    The urethane edge will work even better with down pressure.
    Going forward they wont peal pack andy better or worse than a steel edge, but back drag the same area, and it works great.
    Call me about the dingo bucket edges, we have a new product in testing. Call for details. 860-859-0739
    or got to
  13. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I received my urethane edge for my 54" blade about three weeks ago. My only complaint is it didn't come fast enough for the first couple snow storms. Now I have the rust stains I was trying to eliminate from plowing the first couple storms with the steel edge. I'm very impressed with the urethane edge. I used to go through a steel cutting edge about every three storms. It took over one storm just to get the angle worn into the urethane blade. Steveair, It does work great for side walk expansion gaps. With a steel blade I had to always have blade on extreme angle to go over sidewalk expansion gaps. The urethane blade I have is an 1" thick so now I can take the gaps straight on and it goes right over them unless its extremely elevated. Now I would like a set of urethane's for my V-plow, but I just bought a new metal cutting edge and I'm to cheap to not use it, so I'll have to wait a month or two.
  14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We are working on that, we now stock certain popular sizes so we can ship same day.