1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ok guys figure this one out

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowplowpro, Feb 8, 2011.

1. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

i was plowing the other day and (all winter ) and my 96 f250 automatic with 5.8 liter v8 was running and driving fine now i go down the street to get gas on my way back to this house i got to plow there is a puddle of water so it didnt look that deep well was i f****ing wrong i went threw it there was no way to avoid unless i go into oncoming traffic well here is were i need help after i went threw it the came up over my truck and water must hit the motor and the truck boged out a little im driving and go do the driveway and now the truck gives a high reving when i drive down the street i cant go fast what could it be

speed sensor on rear
    trans
    water in the motor
    what could it be please:help:im going crazy :angry:

p.s. also when plowing i shut the overdrive off i was told to do that.

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know... Might be a comma, could be a CAPS, or it could even have a period... :nod:

3. snowplowpro

from NJ

4. snowplowpro

from NJ

how about can the trans of gotten water in any suggestions please let me know

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  5. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

You say high reving, obviously its not shifting out of low, so could be tranny electronics, get it in a warm garage let it dry out. Water in engine probably not, can be checked just by dipstick or pull the drain and if its been sitting the water will come out first. And join the Navy, that Ford does not make a good submarine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

6. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Also could check for water in the distributor. any moisture in there will cause it to run like ****. I have had times where it wouldn't rev up and times where it would. Also, if it isn't shifting it should be obvious, try shifting manually from 1st gear up as you go.

If the rear speed sensor is not working correctly, then your speedometer will not work, odometer wont advance, and trans wont shift worth a crap.

if you cant figure it out, like said earlier, put it in the shed, turn on the heat. if it was caused by the water, ittl dry out....

7. snowplowpro

from NJ

well im gonna go get a speed sensor cause i have no garge with heat to dry it out so i will speed sensor thank you guys so much i will keep you informed.

8. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Did you take it out and check the plug for corrosion, pull the plug, clean it up, throw it back on and drive it, dont just go start throwing parts at it hoping you fix it. speed sensors are about 30 bucks, that may be 30 bucks you dont have to spend. If it is the speed sensor, the water didnt make it inoperable, it just made it have a poor connection...... if they go bad it is generally caused by metal shavings geting stuck on the magnet where it reads the tone ring.

Does your speedo work? Is the truck shifting?
    We need more information on what is happening.

9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Let it sit and idle for a good period and let it dry out. Then go from there. If you have little experience, it would be far cheaper taking it to a skilled technician than throwing parts at it yourself.

10. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Just to be safe, pull the air filter and see if it got wet or not.

11. JerseySnow

JerseySnow Junior Member
    from 908

+2 for air filter and dry out your Dist. Cap both can get blasted with water very easy if your on the side of the road blast it with some WD-40 if it is a sensor you should have a check engine light come up

12. snowplowpro

from NJ

the check engine light has been coming on but its been doing that since i bought the truck and the speed sensor went bad on me last year and the speedo goes crazy when driving i never fixed that last year .
    i just changed the air filter so i will open it up again and see if its wet.

13. snowplowpro

from NJ

also the spark plugs are bad im gonna change them in the spring i dont have enough money to do a tune up i got to wait for checks to come in .the trans is full with fluid also so im going out there now to check the speed sensor .
    this is driving me nuts all because i went threw a puddle.:mad:

14. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Uh oh, the rest of the story is starting to come out... Puddle or not, it sounds like the lack of maintenance is starting to sneak up on you. :nono:

15. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Go by autozone if you have one nearby and get them to read the codes for you. (free) Your first post is really hard to tell for sure what your problem is, but it sounds like it may be stuck in first gear. Is that what you're talking about? Did you try shifting it manually?

16. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

If the problem started when you went through a puddle, unless it was 6 ft deep, I would bet your distributor cap is cracked and it got water in it. Fords and old Buick's are bad for that, my ol Buick would run like crap every time it rained due to the dang access door for adjusting the points that was made into the cap. Always got water in it, so I just kept wd-40 with me!

I would not think that its the speed sensor, getting wet would not affect it, gets wet every time you drive in the rain!

Cap, or even cracked plug wires, something that normally does not get wet got wet. Also, if the puddle was really deep, you may have a hole in your tank and when fording the puddle got water in the fuel tank.

17. snowplowpro

from NJ

well i went driving around yesterday and now its starting to wear itself out, still does it a very little but not as bad , so you guys think that its because of the spark plugs and wires ok if people start sending checks i can get it done . ok guys thank you i will keep you informed.

18. daninline

daninline Senior Member

if it's a 96 F250 HD then it's still the ODBI so you can only get basic info out of the damn thing, you said it was the OD tranny and the check end light has been coming on.

I'm going to say it's the Alt check the connectors and even have it tested out at a local parts store. It can affect the tranny shifting and it will more thin likly start over heating on you.

19. snowplowpro

from NJ

you say it could be the alt messing up the tranny wow i never heard that before not to be an a****e but i never heard that b4 i will check that out.

20. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

my money is still that the distributor got moisture in the cap... arent you glad you didnt go out and buy a new speed sensor?