1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ok Chevy guys, need some advice here

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by beanz27, Dec 23, 2013.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So, I'm looking for a new personal truck, that I can also put someone in for plowing. I love my diesel ford, but I'm not putting anyone in a truck that big, much less a diesel, so I'm looking at an extended cab short box gas pickup.

That being said, I don't care much for the 5.4 ford, and don't want a V10 for a personal truck. I know the 6.0 has enough power to pull trailers as a back up in the summer, and I've plowed with one guys truck that was what I'm looking for now, I liked it.

Looking into early 2000's GMC or Chevy 2500 HD extended cab short box, with a 6.0 motor. Any specific problems to look for, and what do I need to do to them to make them plow ready or better?

I know the 2 2500 HD's they have run hot, ones a 6.0, one a 8.1. So HD fan clutch, lower thermostat, what else, any tips here?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Heard a little birdie might be selling a ford or Dodge.

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

That would be a smart option, so I'm positive he won't be selling either.

4. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Some common problems. Front wheel bearings. Pretty much all front end parts and exhaust manifold rusting. Overall pretty good work trucks though. Be prepared for 9 mpg.

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You covered all of them that I can think of right know.

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

And how expensive are the bearings to replace?

I knew they got crap mpg, but 9? That's pretty bad, but oh well, mpg isn't a major concern if it makes me money.

I assume they come in different gear ratios, I know ford has 4.10 and 3.73, and my D max was a 3.73, does the gas HD come with 4.10 or no?

7. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

i am also looking for a regular cab ford or chevy. i love driving the chevy 6.0's. but yeah, i have experience with the 6.0 chevy and a lot of my friends have them, be forewarned of the 9.5-11 mpg empty, and around 5-6 plowing or towing...

8. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

it is a great engine though, more power than the 5.4 ford, and both the 5.4 and 6.0 is very reliable. i have a good friend who owns an autobody shop and has had a chevy 2500 xtracab short bed with the 6.0 and a ford crew cab short bed f350 with the v10, and the v10 actually gets a couple mpgs better.

9. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Frame rust, brake line rust, trans line rust, fuel line rust, exhaust manifold bolts broken, power steering pump/lines rust....body rust, exhaust rust. My 06 1500 Silverado with 60K has had all of that addressed in the past 3 months except my fingers are crossed for the winter with the fuel lines and my body is decent due to low mileage. I can't imagine buying an early 2000s unless it was from someplace warm and dry! The ones with rear disc brakes also apparently go through calipers etc. Mine has drums.

10. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Oh I know that a V10 will get 8-12 mpg, I own one, but it's too high miles to invest any money in. I'm looking for a small engine, but more power then the 5.4, haven't been impressed with the 5.4 personally. I want the least amount of power for an employee to plow with, unless they are guys that work year round with me. Snow only guys I don't want with power, they get cocky, or beat things up too bad then.

The guys who work year round know they fix what break, so they don't wanna break anything and take care of what they drive, as they drive it home also.

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Don't forget motor mounts and oil dipstick tube. Look at the coolant degas bottle as well

12. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Any tranny or engine issues I need to double check with these? I know GM had problems with frames cracking with 90's models, these any better?

13. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Just try and find one that has had most of the lines replaced with quality rust resistant. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why some of these rust out much faster than others. Much probably has to do with owner care but I have contemplated trading up to a 05-06 with less miles but most I look at have more rust than my 2000 6.0. Some of the mechanics I've talked too think that the metals used in the frame ect on certin runs come from a batch of metals that are more prone to rust than others with the compounds used to make them with all the recycled metal ect. Dunno if that is true or not. Others say with all the electronics and the grounding done attract and have more of the road debris cling to them, specifically the rear bumpers as some rust out within a few years others are 10 plus years old with no rot.

14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

My 6.0s get about 10-11 mpg empty or loaded.

15. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

My 04 6.0 RC/LB gets 13 MPG empty, 8 if I'm towing my Kubota. If you get one with plowprep, you should be OK with the fan clutch. 01-02 generally had factory UCA gussets so your good there too. Front end work is simple, and with the right tires and ballast these trucks are unstoppable and generally won't rust like a Ford or Dodge.

16. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Ive had my 04 Silverado 2500 6.0 litre for 5 years. Been a great truck. run out of traction before power that's for sure. had an exhaust leak and sure enough it was the famous manifold bolts broken. These trucks have bad problems with that. I had problems with mine overheating at first and had to put on the hd clutch and problem solved. after every storm I spend right at 10 bucks at the car wash on each of my two trucks. I laugh when ppl whine about there trucks rusting out. if you don't want tons of rust do your homework and undercoat and then do your part in getting under the truck really good after each storm...... I crawl under my trucks in a rubber rain suit no matter how cold it is and do my best to get salt off. My truck has very little rust problems OTHER THAN my break lines right under the cab. I actually will be ordering stainless lines next week and doing them.........

I will say, I don't think you can find a more RELIABLE truck.... Ive owned one ford truck. that will be the last one because of reliability issues. When it was running it was a great truck but it was not reliable at all. and that truck was the famous 7.3 psd........ It was terrible.

17. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I personally haven't had any reliability issues wit Ford, frankly, I am a Ford guy, always have been. But like I said, why spend the money on a nice diesel, that an employee who doesn't give a shi*t is going to break?

Anyone pull 18k loads with one of these? Got a gooseneck for hay in the summer, definately would not be all the time, but is it physically able to, if I take it easy?

18. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Oh yeah, that one was part of my exhaust manifold job, it runs between 2 legs of the manifold!!

19. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

They aren't rated for 18K

20. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Its not rated and depending on tongue weight, the rear will squat if you don't have airbags but I think you'd be OK. Look at Mark's Duramax, I think he's out of his towing capacity by 12k regularly.