1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ok, bear with me here...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by m00nraker, Jul 18, 2007.

1. m00nraker

m00nraker Member

You might have read my other post about how i want to plow with my 02 Ram 1500 QC.

Now, being new to this, im getting a little lost. I dont want to buy a plow new, just too much money for my blood.

So that leaves getting a used one. I have been browsing craigslist, and there are what seem to be a few decent deals. They are using terms which i dont really know what they are.

Pushplate, Off-truck, and the likes.

So if I was to buy a plow that was used on a different truck than mine, I would have to buy a mount for my truck, correct? How do i know they make a mount for my truck with that particular plow?

Ive been looking at these couple:

http://nh.craigslist.org/car/351688504.html - 8ft too big?

Also, ive been seeing cheaper plow of Late 80's Trucks which I could easily afford, but would those be too old for fisher to be making a mount for my 2002?

:dizzy: :dizzy:
  2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

The first one and last one looks good. It looks like you'll have to buy a mount for your truck. The website says you cant go any bigger than 7'6". I don't know about an 8'. Someone else might know better than me. Hope this helps. Rich
  3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i bought my truck with the plow already on it. i cant help you much as far as adapting setups im afraid. i bought it already on it to avoid the headache of mounting the plow. here in maine ive seen trucks with plows being sold in the two or three grand range that are still in decent running shape. granted they are older trucks. how much plowing you planning on doing and would you prefer to just use our truck or prefer to save the abuse on your truck and abuse a less nice truck? or... how much have you considered trading your truck for a truck with a plow already installed? just a idea. i try to avoid headaches which is probably why i went the route i did. really depends on how much plowing your doing and if that dodge is your only vehicle at the moment or already a extra vehicle.
  4. bribrius

not to discourage you. consider also though if your planning on trading the truck in in the near future it would be a waste of dollars adding the plow. if you are still determined to do so i would try to find a plow setup off the same kind of truck you own for a less painless experience during installation since all would match up.
  5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I would go with the 2nd one, its a 3 plug system and much easier to get a harness kit for than an old relay type harness. Will need a harness kit, solenoid, battery cables and mount with any of the blades, still looking at an additional 800+ once you get the blade.
  6. m00nraker

m00nraker Member

Ok so, I found another one. This one is less money, which is always good. Hes asking $600 for it.

Meyer 6.5'

It says it came off an 89 Blazer. I would have to get the bracket for my Truck. He says he has all of the wiring.

This will ONLY be used for small residential driveways. Most of which will have to be backdragged. I know people say that its just for their driveway, but they also forgot that commercial strip mall lot they do...but this is STRICTLY driveways, no longer than 60Ft

So whatd ya say? Is it worth a try?
  7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

waaaay to small
  8. m00nraker

m00nraker Member

There is an almost exact truck like mine at my work, and it has a 6.5ft meyer on it, it doesnt seem THAT small.
  9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

maybe it just seems small to me becuase where i work the smallest plow we have is a 8' 6"
  10. bribrius

with a full sized quad cab you will be running over more snow than plowing. the minimum i would go is 7'6". you may even want to consider a 8'

also when you go to small you risk hitting your truck sides when plowing close to obstacles.
    When you turn corners plowing deep snow you will risk getting stuck with a smaller plow also.
  11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

couple of things:
    1 you need at least a 7.5' plow, personally a 8' would be better choice, but since its a 1/2 ton stick to a 7.5' LD model.
    2 stay away from meyers at all costs.
    3 You live in fisher country. So I would stick to fisher. They are an excellent plow. My 2nd choice, as I am a western man. But I still own a fisher.
  12. m00nraker

m00nraker Member

Could you please elaborate on why I should avoid Meyer?
    I know i SHOULD buy a fisher, but I am more concerned about price, rather than brand loyalty

I realize that a 7.5 would be the BEST option for me. But would pushing a 6.5 with my truck be THAT bad? I tried to get a tape measure out and see how it would be, and it is pretty close.

Aside from getting laughed at by other plow guys for running something so small, and the possibility of me running over the snow on the sides - is there anything I should be worried about if I was to buy this, like a Lack of support from Meyer, or lack of equipment needed for it to work?

Im heading over to see it in person saturday. Maybe seeing it in person lined up with the front of the truck ill see its too small.
  13. bribrius

more than likley it came off a s10 blazer not a full size. think of it this way. six and a half feet, but when you angle the blade the six and a half is actually more like five and a half.
    when your plowing and creating a pathway of five and a half feet where do you think your tires are tracking? they are tracking in unplowed snow, packing the snow down. Or worse case scenario if your pushing ten inches of snow they are just spinning in the unplowed ten inches of snow getting you stuck. if you buy a small plow like this i would suggest wings to widen the blade. they will probably run you three hundred dollars. just a guess. i dont use them. i agree with its gottobegreen. try to find a used fisher 7'6" LD or RD. mass is fisher country. parts for fisher plows and used fisher plows are easily accessible in this this region.
    i run a 7'6" RD.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  14. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What do you plan on doing with the plow ? If your going to do your drive the meyer would be okay. If you plan on charging any money for plowing forget the Meyer 6'6" thats for a Jeep Wrangler or Ford Ranger.
    Any plow from any company that did not come off the exact same truck will (Like Crash stated) cost you about $800 for wiring for your truck(there all different, for different models and brands) and the mount. There not universal .
    The Fishers are a dime a dozen up in your area. You can probally find a dealer with used wiring and a mount for your truck. Check e-bay as well.
  15. itsgottobegreen

The list of reasons why you should avoid meyers like the plague is to long to list. Mostly its a crappy 50 year old design. Based off the if it works don't fix it concept. They are too lightly built. I have repaired far to many meyer plows and pumps for the amount of use they get.
    Also you already know that YOU SHOULD buy a fisher. So don't even bother wasting ur time looking at that meyer. Trust me. I have own and used them all. Meyer is what I recommend to my worst enemies. Because while there are repairing thier meyer, I am plowing their accounts and gaining them as customers.

I hate to say this. BUT if you want to play with the big boys. You got to pay like the big boys. My new Western wide out goes for about $5700 or so. So spending $2k on a used setup is not out of line.
  16. m00nraker

m00nraker Member

I REALLY appreciate all the advice guys. Im starting to think the Meyer wouldnt be the smartest idea.

Now, I also found this Fisher, 8ft...looks to be in pretty good shape. And cheaper than the 6ft meyer.

Now, another question. If it isnt the Minute Mount system, Would I still be able to get a mount to work with my truck?

Once again, thanks for all the help guys. Im sure im asking some questions that seem VERY obvious, but im still learning.:help:
  17. itsgottobegreen

Nope. Unless u looked really hard for a used mount. That is a fisher speed caster. Its has a engine driven fisher pump. So I doubt you could get them to work with your 02 truck. Personally I would stick to the Fisher MM2 plows. With the 3 plug system, as these are the most current and easy to get parts for. $1500 for the ones showed are a really good deal.
  18. m00nraker

m00nraker Member

Gotcha, I will keep that in mind.
  19. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't say it cant be done, because in my area there is an early 2000 Chevy Silverado that has the conventional Fisher head gear mounted on the truck, when I first saw the truck I couldn't believe that it could be done with a newer truck as well as who would want to go to all that trouble to put an old plow on a fairly new truck.:dizzy:
  20. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

Even with my 7'6" when i turn at full radius i nock snow right back into the freshly plowed spot because my rear tire runs off into the snow. I wouldnt sugest that 6 fter on a quad cab those are for jeeps and blazers etc short wheel base vehicles get a nice 7 6 of you choice personally i like how the boss mounts up but i have never operated any others so i dont know