1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oily mess at the tailpipel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mikeglaser, Jan 25, 2012.

1. mikeglaser

mikeglaser Junior Member
    from alaska

When I first start my '94 Chevy 2500 truck the exhaust has lots of black oil in it. It makes a big mess. After the truck warms up the exhaust is clean. Is there any way I can clean up the exhaust when the engine is cold.
  2. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Sounds like your valve guides / seats have gone south.
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have used motor honey, no smoke, it comes in a couple different names with great success in older stuff it seals up leaks well & is reasonable in cost. My old 85 chevy (years ago) I used to dump two pints in per oil change, it had a bunch of leaks & wear, cut oil consumption by 90% I would say. I use it in my 99 now, 1 pint per oil change.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

If you had oil coming out the exhaust it wouldn't be running very long, what you are seeing is condensation "washing" carbon off the inside of the exhaust and spitting it out the tailpipe