1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oils

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Truck207, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

I was wondering what type of oil (weight and brand) I should use in the engine and diff. for my 2005 Polaris Sportsman 400? Or should I just go with the Pure Polaris stuff? Let me know.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I buy all Artic Cat oil for my Arctic Cat, and I buy all Bombarier oil for my Can-Am. You should probably just stick with Pure Polaris oil for your Polaris JMO.

3. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

We use nothing but Amsoil here for a lot of years in everything without a hitch. Arguing oil on any forum is usually bad news as everyone thinks theirs is the best lol!!!!!:yow!::yow!:

4. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

I heard the Pure Polaris oil didn't hold up as long as it was suppose to so I figured I would just see what all of you guys were using in your atvs. Thanks for the responses!

5. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I have 2 polaris sportsman 500's and I have only used the Polaris oil in the motor and trans since new, and they both have over 1500 miles on them. As for the front diff I use 80-90 gear, and ATF in the front hubs. I do an oil change twice a year for the motor and once a year on everything else.

6. jml416

jml416 Junior Member

stick with OE

7. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Amsoil full synthetic 0W40. With the stock Arctic Cat oil mine would barely start when it was 10 or colder, the oil was actually sticky until it warmed up. Went to the 0W40 with no problems from -25 to +85 degrees (that's as warm as it got this summer).