1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oils??? regular/synthetic

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by show-n-go, Dec 4, 2009.

1. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

So i was talking to a mechanic friend of mine today and i was talking about changes all the fluids in my truck, I run Amsoil in everything but i have not used Amsoil in the trans up to this point(150k). He said it's a waste of money for anyone to start running synthetic oil on a used vehicle, and that synthetic will only protect and longevity if you start from new and 0 miles. I strongly disagree but i started wondering if he is right. What do you think about that???
  2. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

I'd stick with what you've been using, hasn't done you wrong yet.
  3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I am going to run Amsoil since thats what i use in my boats, i am really curious if it is a waste of money though. I get it at cost so it's not a huge deal i was really wondering if he is right. I bought this truck with 100k+ on it.
  4. gmcfoo

gmcfoo Junior Member

Well im not sure what that guy is thinking but thats wrong. I changed my truck to amsiol everything at 116K. I picked up almost 2 mpg. When ever you switch over to amsoil and keep running it, it will make your vehicle last that much longer.

AMSOIL for LIFE!!!
  5. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

I'm been using amsoil synthetic motor oil since the mid 90's and been happy with the results. Better gas mileage and extended mileage between oil changes .Ford Superduties have been using synthetic gear lube in the axles.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

It's never to late to use a better fluid IMO. I too use Amsoil in everything
  7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

the only issue would be if you have any leaks they will be magnified due to the thinner oil. Also it states in most owners manuels not to use synthetic fir the first couple thousand miles due to breakin.
  8. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

definately do not start with 0 miles on synthetic IMO run standard for at least one oil change for seating and then switch to synthetic.
    I say it is never too late to switch. But I use sythetic.
  9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

What he said X 2
  10. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

Amsoil for me in everything except during break in. I have a 2000 dodge 2500 cummins that I bought at 50,000 miles. Changed the trans to amsoil right away and every 30,000 miles after. I made it to 200,000 before my trans went and most of them don't get that far.