1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JCI Trans, Aug 21, 2009.

1. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this. My '02 6.0 just rolled over 98k the other day an i was wondering if i should still be using synthetic, thinking it may be too thin for the higher miles. Whenever i tow on the highway i seem to burn about a quart of oil by the end of the trip (600 miles or so towing the boat round trip). Is this something that happens with these motors or should i be switching to thicker oil? I run mobil 1 10w30 in the summer months and mobil 1 5w30 in the colder months. Thanks for any input - chris

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I run cheap 10w40 in the summer and 10w30 in my truck in the winter. I've got the 5.7 with a lot of idling hours and 175k worth of miles on it. It will burn about a half quart or so in 3-3.5k. Towing it will burn a bit more but nothing that concerns me. Maybe try a bit of a heavier oil in your truck?

3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Thats what i was thinking, i wasnt sure if i should switch off of synthetic or not also.

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

At less than 100k, your engine should be barely broken in. I bought my 00 6.0 with about 91k on it, and it just turned over 123k. I run 5w-30 Mobil1 synthetic and it uses about a quart between changes...which while not much actualyl makes my truck the biggest oil consumer I've ever owned. To be fair thoguh, I do filters every 5k, oil every 10k, so a quart a couple times a year isn't bad.

Yuo cna switch to a thicker oil and it'll slow that loss, but I think thats jsut a bandaid that will help you ignore whatever is causing the oil loss.

5. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Its fine under normal driving, it only seems to happen when im towing long distance which is only a few times a year. Ill have it checked out anyway to be safe.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Have you ever replaced the PCV valve? Being an '02 if it was never changed to the updated PCV valve that was done in '03 to solve oil consumption issues then that may very well be the root cause for your issue as the 6.0's aren't known to use oil for any other reason.

Easy way to tell the difference between the old valve and the updated one is to pull the valve out and shake it. If it rattles then it's the early valve and you'll want to upgrade to the current one that has no check ball inside. The new one will also have a very small hole in the bottom where the old style had a large hole.

7. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Sounds simple enough, i will check it out this weekend. Thanks for the insight