1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by McVey Landscaping, Oct 13, 2008.

1. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

Just how often do you guys change your Oil. I run a 7'6" Western Pro Plus, with wings, and a 9' Western pro. Change oil every season. Was told to do it every couple. Will stick with every season just seeing what everyone else does.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What kind of fluid do you use?
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Every season whether it gets used or not and regardless of what type of fluid is in it. Cheap preventative maintenance. :nod:
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I agree, I was just going to hijack this into the yearly ATF is good/bad thread:D

Seriously, Change your fluid every year, angle rams and hoses as well:nod: and if you are running ATF this a good time to drain it, run some hydra-flush (any Meyers dealer should have it) though it, and refill with a premium snowplow fluid. Your owner's manual or the manufacturers website will give you the "approved" list.

OK ATF guys have at it:D
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

6. Milo

Milo Junior Member
    from MN

What's the downfall of ATF?
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Oh-Oh.....here we go.....:dizzy:
  8. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I change every year too. The guys that don't use ATF like spending money!:D
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Atf has wax in it.
    At low temps it can separate from the fluid clogging your filter.
    This will slow the operation of your plow and It can cause problems with your pump not to mention the added strain on your alt.

Is your plow an automatic transmission?

Yea in a pinch you can use it(atf) but why would you put your lively hood on the line.

I know the old school plows said atf in them but there is a better choice at the same price as ATF.
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Atf is always more viscous then Premium plow fluid, the colder it gets the thicker it get.

Even if you don't have paraffin separation problems clogging filters it takes more amperage to operate.

All the manufacturers recommend against using ATF. Western used it in the days of cable control but once they went to electric solenoid valving they recommend premium snowplow fluid.

ATF lacks; lubricants, anti foaming agents and anti gelling agents contained in the premium fluids.

Here's a lot more reading on the subject.

11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

It gets changed every year with the filter. I use Fisher plow oil......well not me.....my mechanic.....