1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Buckeye Chuck, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

Just got done putting Dexron III in my Western Pump. I didn't quite get two qts. in. I even drained the hydraulic lines.
    Do you guys always drain the lines too?
    Any good tips on doing this or getting plow ready for the season?
    I have a new Western Std. Poly UM.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You should drain the lines and cylinders along with clean or replace the filter and clean out the can since you have to take it off to get to the filter. Just shy of 2 quarts is all you will get in there, just remember to angle the blade before raising it after refilling it.

3. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

Not sure where the filter is. The manual said clean filter if you take pump apart. So I thought that was something that didn't need to be done unless you were working on the pump.
    Why do you angle and lift blade before raising?

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The filter is inside the tank, just have to remove the 4 bolts holding the tank and give a little wiggle and the tank will drop off (should drain tank first). You should clean your filter when ever you change the fluid.
    You should angle the plow before raiseing to keep from cavitating the fluid in the tank, if you end up with all that air in the tank you will just move it to the turn cylinders and have spongy cylinders. It all has to do with the way the fluid is routed in the system.