1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vaughn Schultz, Feb 24, 2005.

Type of oil AND brand (vote twice)

Poll closed Mar 6, 2005.
  1. Synthetic oil

29 vote(s)
  2. Petroleum based oil

27 vote(s)
  3. Store brand

6 vote(s)
  4. Name brand

40 vote(s)
  5. I could care less, whats ever on sale.

7 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Just wanted to know what you all used.

thank you for voting :nod:
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

They did a test useing cabs in N.Y. a few years ago with over 50 brands of oil and oil additives. Put a lot of miles on them then had the engines torn down for inspection. Result was there was no noticeable difference between any of them. The good results are more affected by how often you change it versus brand. Hope this helps.
  3. Vaughn Schultz

Thanks bud :waving:
  4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Mobil 1 5W-30 and STP filters. Luckily the same oil filter will fit 3 of my vehicles a 95 Wrangler, 99 Cherokee and a 99 Dakota. Also if anybody's interested you can cram a "huge"(compared to stock) filter on all 3 of these equivalent to STP S8A.
  5. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Since no application was specified, I say it depends.

I like synthetic in axles, transfers cases and trannies. Not a huge cost difference in low quantities and when changed every 25K.

In motor oils, I like conventional dinos with a change every 3000. Most conventional oils are so much better than 10 years ago, that they've really closed the gap on synthetics. And since I'm still not comfortable with extended drain intervals (like 10K mile oil changes), I'll stick to conventioal oil every 3K. Besides, I get my Motorcraft 5w-30 Synthetic Blend for $1.42 a qrt. Can't beat the price for a well formulated, rebranded Conoco oil.
  6. Vaughn Schultz

Just wanted to know if the brand name(like Amoco oil) was actually any better than the generic oil. Do you really think that there is a difference? :rolleyes:

oh sorry :( , this is Engine oil.
  7. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I use the Napa brand oil (am told by them it's the same as valvoline) and gold filters. Change every 3000 miles. Can't say I have a reason to believe that brand of oil is better or worse than others. The price is right and I've two vehicles with 234,000 and 267,000 original miles. Both run well.
  8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I generally use whatever is on sale, usually with a Delco filter if possible. I use Fram filters if I can't get what I want, but they are pretty cheap crap.

Keith on lesabret.com was doing some cut-away testing of various filters (based on the Buick 3800 in our cars) and found some interesting results. I will link to it if I can find it. Hard to beat the OEM filters.

On the other hand, my old man ran his last car on the 89 cent/litre/quart Walmart "Motor Oil" from new until it was totalled in 2000 (it was a 1990 Buick Park Avenue). That car had 300k's on it with no engine problems whatsoever. I wouldn't have been surprised to see it run another 100-200k's before needing a rebuild.
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I was a Havoline Texaco fan for many years until I pulled down one of our engines that ran nothing but Havoline- the crap and sludge in there made me wonder how the heck the oil actually went anywhere. Dodge CTD gets Mobil 1 15W50 from the first oil change I did on it- it had 42K with Dino oil (Delvac I think) andRedcap ever since. Cummins and Chrysler spec 6K oil change intervals with dino oil- I change close to 6K normally, if we have a cold spell I have no quams about going to 8K or 9K if I have to. Fram filter in emergency only- fleetguard otherwise (factory Cummins filter) their cheap enough. Chevy still gets Havoline or Mobil Dino oil. dino oil every where else.

Incidently- a friend with a Mercedes Unimog has seen a marked improvement in the engine when he switched to Mobil 1 from dino. Thinking about switching to the new 5w40 Mobil 1 for winters and redcap for summers. It was the only syn diesel rated (amsoil doesn't count) when I got my truck- and I got a steal of a deal from Walmart on the oil (3 years worth of oil for like $15!!)

BTw if you worried about extending oil intervals have the oil tested like the big rigs- they run 12K plus normally on the same oil we littler diesels use.
  10. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Delo 400 15/40 Been using Delo sense my dad showed me the underside of our 55 Chevy valve cover and how clean it was after 100,000 miles. that was back before I could drive in about 1960 I only have to keep 1 oil in stock for 20 different vehicles. I also use it for hydraulic fluid in my bobcats, dump truck sweepers, and excavator. i have never had to rebuild anything that has had it in it due to ware except a few 400 cid ford pickups. (which is to be expected) 3 of my cars have over 200,000 miles on them and run great. I have a 92 IDI 7.3 that has used oil (1 qt ever 2,000 miles) sense new. I also believe there is nothing more important then changing oil regularly, like every 3,000 miles. it is your engines blood.
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Found it!

Here's another good one with flow rates listed:

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I use shell 10-30w i get a deal on a case i add a qt of lucas oil treatment
  13. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Just switched everything over to Amsoil this past fall. Really happy with it so far, I can tell the vehicles run a bit smoother in cold weather. Will use their grease too when my Mystic gets used up. And their 2 cycle oil is nice too, one mix takes care of all ratios.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I usually use Quaker State 4x4 Syntetic blend Oil when I"m plowing, and whatever the mechanic puts in during the summer oil changes.
  15. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Valvoline 10W40 (Max-Life preferred) year round. Usually Fram filter. Oil and filter changed every 3k miles. 250k on the 6000 and still runs great, no smoke, no knock, shows no signs of giving up anytime soon. A lot of people give 10W40 a bad rap but Ill use what has always worked well for me.
  16. ExplorerPlow

ExplorerPlow Junior Member

I use Royal Purple in everything, the trans, diferentials and Motor oil. Very happy with it soo far and I use a K&N Oil filter. Royal purple is a great oil Really noticed a differnce when i used it. vehicle runs alot smoother and idles smoother. I usually change it every 3-4 thousand.
  17. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Mobil 1 in the trans, and transfer case. I am so impressed with this fluid it isnt funny. And not the I put it in and its worked for 10k miles. I have seen trans with major burning and the fluid looks new.

Mobil 1 in the rear and front end.

Schaffers semisynthetic in the motor in the winter and shell rotella in the summer. the rotella is free so thats why I use it. I change my oil often becasue of my heavy overfueling. I run schaffers in the winter becasue it has a better pour point when cold than the shell.

I will run valvoline or mobil.

Wix or ACdelco filters.(or napa gold witch is a wix filter)

I didnt vote since you didnt really cover my complex answer
  18. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Shell Rotella and Fleetguard filters on everything.