1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil Weeping From Pump Mounting Gasket

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by graycenphil, Nov 28, 2006.

1. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

Today I drained and replaced the hydraulic fluid, then hooked up the plow and ran it through the paces. (It's nice woprking on it when it's 50 degrees out.) I noticed oil weeping from the bottom of the pump mounting, by the gasket.

Do you think this is a problem that needs addressing? Or can I just let it do this and figure the oil leaking out will keep the pump body from geting rusty?

2. Trueduelz

Trueduelz Junior Member

Are you talking about the (Motor Gasket)? If thats the case then you definitly want to get that repaired other wise youll loose way to much fluid when you need it most and also you want that reservoir sealed to keepout moister wich will cause corrosion and that is definitly not something you want floating around inside your plow.

3. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

Yes, I mean the gasket on the bottom of the motor. If I just take out those big bolts, lift up the motor and put on a new gasket, will it go right back together? Or is it a bigger job than that?

4. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

you want to fix that or you will have the same issue i had where i got moisture in the system and it froze which makes for a big head ache

5. Snoflo

Snoflo Member

Yes it is that easy, Two bolts and replace the cork gasket and the trouble will be solved for about $1.99 and fifteen minutes. Just make sure you unplug the motor plugs so you dont jit something with it and short it out.

6. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

Thanks s lot. Done.

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

By the sounds of it you didn't replace the screen on the pump inside the reservoir. Next time you change the fluid, get a 7053k and another motor gasket 25861 from your local Fisher / Western dealer. drain the fluid, then remove the motor as you just did to replace the gasket. then remove the actual pump within (4 bolts, 2 of which hold it to the reservoir, loosen all 4 if you don't know which one is which) and replace the pickup filter on the side of it, clean the reservoir out with brake cleaner and wipe clean, Turn the actual pump over and inspect the rubber o ring on the bottom, if all is good secure the pump back inside and replace the motor & gasket. Make sure to scrape away any of the old gasket to ensure a proper seat on the new one. Another trick is to completely fill the reservoir just before you replace the motor & gasket with new hydraulic fluid. It's alot easier then getting a funnel out and bleeding the system all over again. I remove the whole system to the bench for doing all of this. a few small 2X4 blocks will prop the pump up nicely so you can work on it with ease in a warm environment.

There is also a flush procedure if you wanted to flush the entire system. If you want it, just let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pump veiw.JPG

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Double post.

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Repo
    I wonder if that was his problem after all??

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

I would think it would move alittle either way. Besides, if it's got the pressure to raise I doubt it. It takes more to raise then it does to angle. I would be willing to bet that the system, does need to be flushed however. I just did a 1990 speedcast the other week....you want to talk about crud. She runs like brand new now.

11. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I just read the other post were you left a lot of info..Almost the same I did.. I wonder if he read the post I left him...Just think this all could end up being a controller problem..The board acting up when it want to..That why I recommend trying another controller.........

In this post, are you going to mention to torque the pump bolts?

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'll take Pump cap screws for $100 please........That will be 150-160 lbs of torque sir. The motor to manifold however is a mere 30-40 lbs.

I however, just make them tight. I have a "feel" for things after doing so many of them. Mike may come across the site and smack me for just such a thing though. :dizzy: :waving:

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Would that be inch pounds or foot pounds Ryan? It makes a big difference you know. :D

It's always a good idea to properly torque the pump bolts however the motor bolts aren't critical. A good single grunt with a box end wrench is fine.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

ewww, I can envision a nasty PM with pictures of snapped bolt heads already! :laughing:. That would definitely be inch lbs for sure. :D