1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil to Gas Ratio?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Johnz414, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Johnz414

Johnz414 Junior Member

Hi and Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone,

Nice to have found this forum. I'm sure it will help out. But to my question. I've just become an apartment manager and one of my responsibilities is to plow the snow, well snow blow it and we want to get the snow blower ready for the season. The snow blower is a 2 cycle engine and we're wondering what is the ratio of oil to gas for one gallon of gas. Anyone that could give the exact ratio that would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, how important is it to empty the gas from the previous year? Does it really make that much of a difference?

John :eek:
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

what type of snow blower? most 2 cycle engines use 50:1.
    How much left over gas is there and was the gas can full.
    The gas in the tank, was it full too?
  3. Johnz414

Johnz414 Junior Member

Hi SnoFarmer,

Thanks for responding to my inquisition. I just got done checking the snow blower, it's an MTD Product. I also found that it gives the ratio right on the gas cap and it is 50 to 1. Beginning of the season you know. And apparently the gas tank on the blower is empty so I wont have to worry about emptying it.
    I'll be mixing the gas and oil in a separate one gallon gas can before filling up the blower. So all I have to do is figure out exactly what 50 to 1 is for a one gallon gas can. I take it that it's about a fourth of a cup. Also the apartment owner has only "four" cycle oil here when apparently it calls for "two" cycle, so I'll have to check that out too. They also have their email address plastered all over the blower so I'm sure that I can find even more out at the manufacturer's site. But if you can let me know if four cycle oil is OK for two cycle engines and exactly what amount 50 to 1 is for one gallon that would be great. But in any case thanks for responding and have a great Thanksgiving!

John ;)
  4. Seamus

Seamus Member

In response to your questions, do not use 4 cycle oil and you can purchase 2 cycle oil in a pre-measured amount to mix with one gallon. Just read the bottle when you buy it to make sure it is the one bottle 2 cycle oil / one gallon gas size. Hope that helps. Good luck!
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

John, Don't use the 4 stroke oil, thats for your car.
    You can get 2 cycle oil in what is called " one mix " it's allready measured for one gal, no measuring needed, or you can pour out 2.6fl oz of 2 cycle oil for 1gal.. or you can mix 5 gal of gas with 13 fl oz for 50:1.
    Hope this helps..

Have a Happy, Happy and a Merry, Merry!!
  6. GrtArtiste

GrtArtiste Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Make sure you get a 2-cycle oil for an air-cooled engine, NOT for a marine engine (outboard boat motor). I've had good luck with Stihl Hi-Performance oil. Ask for it at a hardware store or lawnmower-power equipment dealer. Don't use something sold by a gas station.

7. Johnz414

Johnz414 Junior Member

OK, everybody, two cycle oil it is! I'll make sure to get some before I mix and tank up. It's air cooled, a snow blower you know so I'll ask at a hardware store or lawnmower-power equipment dealer for two cycle Stihl Hi-Performance oil for air cooled-engines. If it comes in those measured packs, great otherwise 2.6 fl oz per gallon and/or 13 fl oz per 5 gallons. That really should do it for me. Thanks a whole lot guys and Happy Gobble Day to yeahs.

John :salute:
  8. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

me from personal expierence: i bought a used 2stroke dirtbike(IT465)ten years ago,after unloading it and going for a ride the next day..the piston seized to the cylinder,after consulting the previous owner on the gas's age he said it was last years mix in it still..ugg first impressions of a purchase and 1 month of awaiting the new parts.I must have a thing with gas issues,as also my neighbour gave me his 1985 200m trike last year cause he didn't want to figure why it would'nt start(had under 5tanks of fuel ever put in it,still looked brand new too)..problem:Gas sat in there for over a decade,and ver orange from rusting and condensating in the tank!..i thinks he wants it back now..haa
  9. PlowerPower

PlowerPower Junior Member

I've been running mobil racing 2T synthetic oil at 50:1 in all my 2 stroke equipment with good results. It even works out to be cheeper that the stihl oil. However, I believe that ratios may vary on different equipment, I'd contact the manufacturer, or a local shop to be sure your using the correct ratio. Older equipment ran at 32:1, and a lot of tree guys still run their equipment at 32:1 even thought the book says 50:1. I don't do that, but I don't think it will hurt anything.