1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil spraying on a truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossman 92, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I know it can be done (i used the search button) lol! I have a truck I want to spray the under side with used motor oil, and I want to use an old paint gun hooked to our compresser. My question is what do I need to do to the spray guy before we can spray oil with it? What kind of pressure do you guys run when doing this?

I just read what I typed, and realized that I said "I" am going to spray this truck :laughing:

Typo on my part, a guy who works for me is going to spray this truck.

Thanks for any insite Bossman :drinkup:
  2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Not a good idea, use fluid film. It's the more responsible thing to do.
  3. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I would just test the gun with different PSIs intill you find what works.
  4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Just thin it with diesel and use a cheap pump sprayer.
  5. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

At work we use what they call snak oil. Its oil thined with diesal or kerosene we put it in a spray bottel 3/4 oil and 1/4 of diesel. You can try biffrent mix to what you like. It works good on sewer snakes. It will fade paint in a short time. Go with fluid film it is about 40-50 a gal hope it help out.
  6. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

The use of oil does not work we did that for years but does not work very well fluid film is the only way to go trust me
  7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I am curious on why you say it doesnt work? If you thin the oil just enough to spray i have never seen oil wash off very easily and it also seeps into crevices that you cant spray directly into.
  8. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i used to do that to my 78 chevy, sprayed the cab corners. they never rotted out but i was
    told that used oil is very acidic and not a good idea.... but i did it anyway
  9. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

use used diesel oil Thumbs Up a cheap plastic coverall is a good investment as well
  10. graystonelbz

graystonelbz Member

Isn't the sulfur in diesel extremely corrossive? I know if i spill diesel while chaning fuel filters it will take the undercoating right off my truck. I wouldn't use diesel.
  11. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

used oil from a diesel motor. Thumbs Up
  12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

How about ATF? I've heard of people spraying boat trailers down with it before dunking them in salt water to load/launch the boat.

My driveshaft seal at the t-case leaks just a little bit and it has coated the underneath with a film of atf from the t-case. I'm just going to leave it there. I already change the seal and it's still seeping some. Oh well....
  13. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Bar and chain oil mixed with clearcoat. 2006 f350 still looks brand new. No rust.