1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil spray

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 81c1500, Aug 11, 2004.

1. 81c1500

81c1500 Junior Member

I have an 89 chevy c1500 with the 305. I noticed smoke in my rear view mirror when I test drove the vehicle. I open the hood and on the passenger side there is an oil sheen on the ac accumulator the valve cover and the firewall. I have replaced the valve covers and valve cover gaskets. When I run the vehicle at idle I don't notice any oil leaks but at highway speeds the oil sprays hitting the exhaust manifold casuing the smoke. Does anyone have any recommendations. Thanks, Chuck

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Check everything.... not just one side... the fan will blow oil all over so check up front. Check where the mechanical fuel pump would mount and make sure the block off plate is snug. There should also be short bolts in the holes on the front of the block directly in front of it, as some blocks have this hole going straight thru into the fuel pump cavity (so a long bolt could be used to lock the fuel pulp pushrod).

Get yourself a can of Brake Parts Cleaner and wash things down underhood (ONLY on a COLD ENGINE) then drive again, see where it accumulates first.

3. 81c1500

81c1500 Junior Member

Well I found the source. There is a split near the mounting bracket for the dipstick tube. I wrapped tape around it and took it for a road test and no smoke. Thanks for the help.