1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil smoke

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 81c1500, Aug 8, 2005.

1. 81c1500

81c1500 Junior Member

Hello all,

I am writing trying to understand the smoke from my tailpipe. When I first start off there is a heavy puff of smoke. Now I have also noticed that there is a small stream of smoke while driving. When I floor it the stream of smoke is thicker. I am trying to buy some time, because a buddy of mine said the oil rings are failing. Is there any recommendations that would control the smoking to get inspected. There are no emissions inspections in my area. Again thanks for all of your help. :dizzy:
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Depends on if it's a gas or a diesel, ans what color the smoke is.
    Blue smoke is oil, black smoke is fuel, white smoke is water For a GAS engine these are a problem. In a diesel you don't normally get blue smoke, but it is still oil, white smoke is still water, and black smoke is still fuel, but it is normal for fuel smoke on a diesel in many cases.

If it's blue smoke odds are you have bad rings OR valve guide seals, if it's black smoke get a tune up.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Does it smoke once it's warm?
    Most hard worked trucks will smoke on startup and until it's hot.
    My old Ford will, but it passes emissions checks that are mandated in my area! Does it have a huge amount of miles on it? Maybe it needs valve seals replaced to cut the oil smoke?
  4. 81c1500

81c1500 Junior Member

When I first start the truck there is a puff of smoke and then a small stream of smoke. After the truck is warmed up it still expells a large puff of smoke when in first gear. The truck has 183k . It has plently of pickup and power. I am replacing the valve seat (umbrella seals) and the valve oil seals which according to my haynes manual is mounted on the valve stem, but all this to be done this weekend. I will post a reply on the results. Thanks for your input. :salute:
  5. MickiRig1

Your oil control rings on the pistons could be worn out too. With 183k on the engine it's getting up there on wear. Check your PCV too, make sure it rattles in the housing when you shake it and you can blow a small amount of air thru it. Being a GM there's a boat load of engines and parts around for it.
  6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Valve seals???

Valve seals tend to dry out leak and then let oil drain down into the cylinders. thats not to bad of a job and can be done without removing the heads. It will also smoke when you let off the gas and get back on it, especially with a manual trans. The cylinder vacuum actually sucks the oil down the valve stems.
  7. 81c1500

81c1500 Junior Member

I want to thank all who replied. I changed the valve stem (umbrella seal) and the o-ring. I noticed on the exhaust valve there was no umbrella seal just the rubeer o-ring which was missing on 7 of 8 valves. Test run showed no smoke. Again thanks :redbounce
  8. MickiRig1

Cool ! You lucked out, I hope!
    The engine may not have as many miles on it then you think too.
    If the oil's changed regular the engine will go a huge amount of miles without alot of wear,it just depends on if the first owner or 2 takes care of it!