1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil Seep

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Dave3121, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Dave3121

Dave3121 Junior Member

I'm new to Boss plows, used a western for 8 years so I'm not to familiar with it. I had it serviced about 10 days ago for winter use and took it off the truck that day. Since then there has been a very slow one drop at a time leak of hydrolic fluid seeping through somewhere on the bottom, looks like its coming from the plug. Everything is tight. The light tower is forward if that matters. Will this stop once the tower is upright on the truck ? Or is it just normal from overfilling maybe ?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Attach the plow to your truck and find out what is going on before you need it..

Ounce you get the plow on your truck put it in float and check the fluid level.
    Your right, it could just be over full..

If not that. clean things up.
    Then actuate all of the rams and recheck for leaks..

And Welcome to plowsite...

3. Dave3121

Dave3121 Junior Member

Thanks farmer. I'm giving it a shot today. I took a good look and figured it is coming from the plug under the tower for sure. Maybe some teflon tape around the plug or a new plug. We'll see.... thanks again.

4. lazerslicer

lazerslicer Member

did u figure it out???

I also just bought a new bos v-plow and mine is doing the same thing they told me it was over flow..... so what did u come up with????????????

5. tguisinger

tguisinger Junior Member

I Bought a boss 8' 2" Vee and I have noticed some leaking also. Not much though. When I took the cover off I just thought the cap needed tightened. I have still noticed a little when it is off the truck.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Put your plows on your trucks.
    Take the cover off the pump.

Then cheek our fluid level.

Sounds like the dealer over filled them.

7. dartman

dartman Junior Member
    from ct

fluid leakage

overfilling is common as well as the vent cap on top of the reservoir being loose

8. rjahlbach

rjahlbach Junior Member

great post!! thanks

9. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

Yes, more than likely it was just overfilled, and puked out the vent cap.