1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by btrussell, Nov 18, 2004.

1. btrussell

btrussell Member

Ok I have a 1989 k1500. It seems to be losing oil but im not sure where. I changed the oil last week and noticed that there was a small amount of oil on the underside of the block where the pan meets it by the oil filter. There was also a small amount of oil dripping off the transmission cover. I also noticed that lately after i start it up it seems to have more exhaust than normal but its white so i dont think it burning oil but am not sure. Any suggestions? I didnt think it would be leaking enough where oil pan meets block to cause it to lose a quart in 2 weeks. Also I used castrol high milage synthetic oil to see if it made a difference. Doe it make a difference which thype of oil i use? Thanks
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Thinner oil does not always reduce oil consumption as it depends on the cause too. I think you have two problem outside of normal wear. Check your pan and valve covers for bolt snugness and that series of engine had a lot on problems with the umbrella seals on valces going bad leading too higher oil comsumption and smoke at start up. They can be replace without removing head with a few extra tools.