1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil pressure

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ppkgmsy, Jun 18, 2009.

1. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Hey guys, got a question about oil pressure on my '87 Chevy 1/2 ton. In the cold weather it would indicate high pressure (near 60psi) on starting, then drop down to normal range after a couple minutes of driving and remain stable at around 30psi. Now that the weather is warmer it sits just below 15psi all the time, never moves. The truck runs great, doesn't burn oil or show any signs of engine problems. I changed the oil last week, using 10-40, but there's no difference in oil pressure. I was thinking there might be a problem with the pressure sending unit. If this is the case, I found it just above the oil filter so it's fairly accessible to change. What do you think?

I apologize if there's another thread on this. I tried to search but my computer seems to hang up on the search function.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Start with checking the press with an actual mechanical press gage temporarily. The electric gages in the old trucks were never known to be all that accurate (and don't improve with age :D) causing many an owner to replace hard parts for no reason.

Once you check it with the mechanical gage you find that your factory gage is in fact lying to you; change the sender first. $15 and 10 minutes of your time.

3. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Thanks B&B. Hooking up a mechanical makes sense. If the sender is the problem, how important is it to get it changed quickly? Does it do anything besides send info to the gage?

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

oil

it let;s you know if you have a major problem ! they dont call them idiot light's for no reason .:salute:

5. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

I was asking if the sender does more than send information to the gague. Does the info influence the actual functioning of the engine in anyway, like through an electrical or vacuum system? Kind of like spark advance. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I figure I'd ask and learn.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't believe it does anything other than feed the gauge. Pretty easy to change, you don't even need to drain the oil.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No worries, it does nothing more than operate the gage.

Its when it doesn't even do that when you initially worry. :D

8. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Thanks, all. I took a look at the sender and it's easy to get to, just above the oil filter. I'm going to check it with a mechanical and go from there. I appreciate your help.

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I don't know if that one is correct?

I believe it was near Dist

Done on 94 Yukon it was very tight to try reach oil sender.

10. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Must be different designs because the sender on my truck is easy to get to. Doesn't look like the oil filter even needs to be removed.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's doesn't, Mill's talking about the wrong sender. ;)

12. Milwaukee

Ok then why we hook oil mechanical and it say right oil pressure and we disconnect plug to make sure it was oil sender so it right. Now you tell me it wrong sender.

It was behind dist on Chevy 350.

13. Milwaukee

Here pic [​IMG]

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Because both of your examples are from the wrong model year. We're talking an '87 here. Your first hand example was a '94...and your pic is from a pre-TBI truck.