1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil pressure

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by milwaukeevtwin, Nov 25, 2008.

1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

I have a 1999 Jimmy with a 4.3.with 144,000 miles. I have always ran Castrol 10x40 oil since i bought it over a year ago. Recently i installed a plow with Timbrens and upgraded the wiring to zero gauge. When i bought the oil, i upgraded to the high mileage 10x30. Today i drove it for about 30 minutes and the oil guage was showing about 20 pounds of pressure at idle and 40 at 60mph. It has never ran this low, also the temperature guage spiked up and it got hot. When i pulled the oil dipstick, smoke came out. It was hot. Has anybody ever experienced that. Should i switch back to the original oil? Any input would help. Thanks, Ron

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

in perfect ideal motor 10psi for every 1000 rpm.

your 20 and 40 sounds good.

and thay call for 5w-30 spec for these motors. thats what i run and use guality oil and regular oil changes with no problems.

did the problems you stated happen with the plow on?

and with the v6 it wouldnt have the bigger cooling options like the v8 would . so mabye you might want to up the radiator to a bigger one. and if you dont know how old the tstat is change it. and gm motors like the 180 range best.

3. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Well i got back home today and ran it for about 45 minutes, with no problems. I am going to change the thermostat. I think it might have stuck.
    Thanks, Ron

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Why in the world would u be using 10w 40 ?

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Problem that engine been stick to 10w40 weight so it worn out little when you put 5w30 it will go to 5 psi.

When it get extreme hot it will blow little smoke when you open oil cap and see white stuff on oil cap it water.

Min is 7 psi for my Ford 300 so It should be same.

And most issue what filter brand you use Fram?

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Because he must hear noise tick or metal to metal rubbing or it burn oil?

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My dad's been running 10w30 in the winter and 10w40 every other time in his 02 4.3 since new. Now has 156k or 158k on it and no problems. Never has gotten hot or had other problems.

We use the cheap oil from farm and fleet, usually shell, citgo,etc. And ac delco oil filters. But really your oil filter should have no effect on anything else.

8. brad96z28

Just think of the miledge u would get out of the motor if u had put in the correct grade oil. Do u actually think u get better lubrication using that thick of an oil on an engine that was not designed for that? Lol the only thing that should be using 10 40 is a motorcycle.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

"Just think of the mileage you would get out of the motor if you had put in the correct grade oil" What's that supposed to mean?

We've always run 10w30 or 10w40. We've got just under 700k miles running this oil in a few different gm vehicles and have never noticed a problem. Why do we run it? I have no idea except that we can get it pretty cheap and it's alwasy worked for us. What benefit does 5w30 have over 10w30?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

One is thicker than the other at start up....Most important part...

11. brad96z28

It that means that if u where to get 300k out of an engine that someone was using 10 40 for who knows what reasn why they would do that, when it calls for 5w 30. If they used the oil that the manufacture of the engine recomended they would probally get alot more out of it.Thicker is not always better it will give u more pressure for sure but It will obviously flow less volume. 5w30 will have better flow at initial start up.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The higher pressure compensates for larger than new clearances in a high mileage engine... the difference in flow is negligable. It takes a little more crank power to start the engine at colder temps, thats all.

The manufacturer recommends the thinnest oil it can get away with (when new) because it reduces the drag slightly in the engine and therefore increases average fuel mileage a touch...

13. brad96z28

Some reading from some one else that know what they are talking about for a change.
    He can word it better then me.
    http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/586323

14. brad96z28

Oh really it has nothing to due with tighter tolerances huh?

15. derekbroerse

You don't have tighter tolerances in a 300000 mile engine, do you? Or even in a 100000 mile engine...

He's talking about a 9 year old Jimmy, not an '08 Vette....

16. brad96z28

Ya duh he said he has always used 10 w 30 and 10 w 40. Meaning it may have had tighter tolerances not anymore after using 10w40. Well u said the manufacture uses thinner oil because of fuel economy, that is part true It does help with fuel economy but it is because of the tighter tolerences a part that u just must of forgot to mention.

17. brad96z28

(Car builders that recommend 5W-20 viscosity oils have tested these oils extensively to ensure that they provide adequate protection of critical engine parts. Our testing has shown that Mobil 1 5W-20 provides excellent wear protection in modern vehicles. Because today’s engines have tighter tolerances – due to improvements in metallurgy and parts-finishing quality, oils with a low film thickness can provide the protection required and at the same time provide fuels economy benefits. Mobil 1 5W-20 is designed for vehicles where a 5W-20 viscosity oil is recommended. Not only does Mobil 1 5W-20 help extend engine life but it also provides exceptional fuel economy)
    Str8 from mobil oil. Id like to see how long a 5w20 designed engine could last running 10w40.

18. brad96z28

U probally would If u could read the oil cap:dizzy:

19. derekbroerse

...for the past year he's owned it.

You are completely missing the point of this thread. Maybe you shouldn't be the one saying duhhhhh :rolleyes:

He won't hurt a damn thing with it. Its better to have higher pressure than not in a high mileage engine. If for example there is excessive clearance in the cam bearings alone pressure could drop to nearly zero at low idle.

And thicker oil isn't going to MAKE clearance its going to be harder to push thru that clearance....:rolleyes:

20. derekbroerse

Ya, you're right, engines never ever wear unless you use 10W40, what was I thinking?