1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil pressure

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dodgegmc1213, Jan 5, 2016.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

I was driving this morning, went over a hill and heard a pop, pulled over opened the hood and my oil filler cap blew off, it broke a little bit but it was able to go back on and tighten. the cap also had moisture on the inside of it, and lately so has the dipstick, it started rusting. so tomorrow i'm changing pcv valve and get a new cap and check any hoses. but I did add a oil catch can (I don't remember how many months ago) ive drained it a few times but could that possibly causing it not to breath correctly? or the reason its getting moisture? im probably gonna take that off and see what happens, if it continues then its probably something else.

2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Which one? The '04 or the '14?

3. dodgegmc1213

Oh wow I didn't realize I didn't mention which truck or motor lol sorry the 04 5.7 hemi

4. johnhenry1933

Well, I had the same issue of moisture in my '04...never had the cap blow off though. I now have a new engine and transmission, and do not have the moisture issue. So possibly it's an oem issue...I don't know.

5. dodgegmc1213

what was the reason you got a new engine and transmission?

6. johnhenry1933

Catastrophic failure.

My understanding this is a common problem on hemis...on short trips only. Run your truck long enough to get it up to temp, then see if condensation exists on the cap. Again, I've never blown a cap, or seen moisture on the stick, only on the cap. Stick to the oil change interval as well.

7. dodgegmc1213

im just wondering if the tube has a hole in it

8. dodgegmc1213

Well changed the pcv valve, that was clogged a little bit, it's been 4 years since I last changed it. took the oil catch can off and had a bunch of gunk in it, gunk in the hoses, in the oil fill tube, some where the pcv goes, some in the intake tube and a little in the throttle body. Cleaned the intake tube and throttle with carb cleaner. Cleaned the pcv valve area and the oil tube. Added some marvel mystery oil, started the truck and it sounded better, took it to go get the new oil cap, opened it right up with no problems, can't even tell it was running at idle. Gonna change the oil tomorrow with marvel added to the fresh oil, run for 2 weeks or so and change it again.