1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil pressure

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by greentexasblock, Feb 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. greentexasblock

greentexasblock Junior Member
    from texas

Hi! I have a ford f350 2000 7.3 I replaced the neutral safety switch on the steering column, and I cranked the motor ...as soon as i did , sounded as it needed oil or lack of oil in the motor .....of course I accelerate, so if the pump wasn't picking it up it will doit this time but as a I increased the acceleration the knocking was worst so i stop then tried again and same knocking..I did not tried no more cause I do not want to cause biger damage to engine, but it sounds like no oil pressure but the nedle says plenny of presure... Ican do some mechanic work in my trucks I have 2 more f-250's 7.3 motor on them but , , never had any trouble whith them for more than 7 years ...one of them is 518, 000 miles the other 250 but the one with the problm only has 120, 000 miles on it I wonder if i blew a fuse or relay or if the oil pump or the oil system has a relay or any electrical connector for thepump to do its job , , , any help will be apreciated ...I fixed the stalling and OD light problem by changing the transmission coil pack, filter and new oil in my transmission ..no more stalling and blinking OD light!!!...if you know of any body with the OD light problem ,Please let them know what i did to fixit Thanks!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

If you Google 7,3 Ford Oil Pump you will get some info on what to do........

3. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Is it throwing a 'check engine' light? I am not buying that a neutral safety swith has anything to do with the oil problem. Usually lack of oil pressure will prevent the engine from firing up, also if you run the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) dry it will be a long crank to get it to fire. The so called guage showing pressure helps but if you dropped an injector it will sound bad as well, knocking. Did the engine fire or try to fire up? Smell inside the valve cover thru the oil fill, if you smell a burnt electric smell you probably have a roasted Under Valve Cover Harness (UVCH) or the valve cover gasket which contains an electrical connector, both supply electric to the injectors and the glow plugs. Ford Truck Enthusiast website is full of help as well.
    Chad

4. greentexasblock

from texas

To Chad and the others:
    Yes, my gauges say plenty of pressure but the noise it makes sounds like a light knocking so I turned it off. When I crank it back on, the knocking was heavier so I stop. I had just recently replaced the starter one day before because it was lowering my batteries. So, fixed problem. The next day, I come over and try to crank it, and dead batteries again! Replaced solenoid on the side panel for starter but I noticed that under the starter, there was a black tar-like smelly as hell burnt plastic. I was thinking it was coming from the starter but now that Chad mentions the harness, I'll go ahead and check my valve cover. Because of that burnt tar, I decided to change the neutral safety switch on the steering column. I already replaced the key cylinder switch. By the way, the black tar stuff is so aggressive that I washed my hands for two days in a row and I couldn't remove the smell from them. I hope it's that harness.
    Thanks for the help!

5. greentexasblock

from texas

I will check the harnes but no check engine light on!

6. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

If the harness is bad it is just like pulling a spark plug wire on a gasser, but WAY more noticable and sounds awful, knocking and NO power. I am just trying to figure out how the neautral safety switch factors into it, other than you just replaced it. Check for a pinched wire or something else knocked off. Have you checked all your fuses? Are you sure you got all the wires back on the correct side when replacing the solinoid on the fender? No need to pull the VC off, you will know when you pull the oil fill cap and give it a wiff. The bad connector looks something like this http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php?p=1162312&postcount=4
    Chad

7. greentexasblock

from texas

Thanks Cotter !!! this started when, I was charging bateries every 5 to 7 days on a normal basis ..brand new ones!!!.until I replaced the starter, it worked perfect !. then I was driving my truck the nex day and ,so you now I hit a bump really hard, That one of my spare bateries in the back of my truck, turned up side down.(flipped). both poles making contact with the metal bed ,, of course I did not notticed this until nex day....so the nex day my truck was death as a block .. no power at all, I replaced the power window fuse and 3 more fuses that were out ...as well as the burnt heavy smell on the side of the starter so I went underneat and noticed an ozzing black tar but dried ..(like if it was melted and dried ) but some of it was wet ..when i touched it and smell it ...man.. that was the most disgustig burnt smell i ever smell!!!!...i tought my starter burnt but cranked Ok. I tried to replace my spare bateries and I noticed it was empty and no juice I assume because of the negative positive touching the bed (metal) so I got a different batteries and replaced the bad ones .replace the solenoid ,just in case and "yes the wiring on it is correct" I also replace the ignition safety switch under the steering column. as soon as I cranked it noticed the starter was not burned cause it cranked perfect. not heavy and no check engine light. nice oil presure but knoticed it started to sound a little knocking, and it took about 7 minutes to start getting heavyer and heavyer so I stop the engine, did it again and knocking was heavyer ..the rest is what Ibeen writing to you guys Im going to start with the harnes,, and I will keep you guy Updated.. Thanks.. Alex

8. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Sounds like you got a money and time pit there............walk away and slow down in your next vehicle, also secure everything down if you do any modifications to your vehicles.

9. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

It sounds to me as though you would save money by taking this truck to a professional mechanic for a look over. You are spending money replacing parts that probably don't have anything to do with the problem.
    Did you make sure the engine oil is full?

10. greentexasblock

from texas

yeah! you are right, but im keeping track of every part Im replacing, but i I take it to the mecchanics Iknow .they will rip me off big time! All they say whenever I take my truck is: Oh, you have a check stock in your engine. That doesn't make me feel like I wanna leave my truck in there. They'll come out with an enormous bill saying they replaced this and that. But, I'll take it slow.
    Thanks!

11. greentexasblock

from texas

I do want to Thank every body for Emails & reply's .. and thanks to this video some on send, I focused on the glow plug direction. I did n;t know the diesel trucks will knock that hard when lack of gas on engine.. I have 3 more diesel trucks and Thank god never had any problems with them other than alternator bateries or starters. one of my truck has 522 k miles on it and still pulls my dump trailer with the bob cat on it.. but again I 'm the only driver for that truck. back to my problem... when ihappened, i had replacethe starter,a burned solenid, and as soon as I cranked it ,I started to hear that noise (knocking) so asummed it was lack of oil or electrical related issue. so thanks to this an some other forum I studied the glow pugs prosedure. did all the testing and ended up with good system ..so once I comfinmed the HVCH was not damaged with out tearing valve covers apart... after replacing filters and knoticed some dirt on fuel fiter ..Cleaned the reservoir and tested fuel pump and it was not sending diesel to the reservoir. I could hear it working but not pumping. so I just disconnected it and atached a pigtail hose to the back ,or inlet an blowed realy hard on it wile power it on with a wire connected to the battery,.. an wallaaaaaa worked puged every thing back on and my truck is runnig like a champ so I installed a one of those marine water separator filters as the guy from 'powerstrokehelp' sugested ..with a diesel filter, bu I installed it before mi fuel pump.. So I really APOLIGISE for all the time and effort that I may cause you to loose with all my requests. I ended up studying more on diesel engines than when I was in high school and I think I will keep doing it and try my best to help people if I know I can help..THNK YOU ALL! very muchand I hope this kind situatios if you are in one like mine will get solved I one or another way..God bless America!!!!...Alejandro Ramiro Bravo..