1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil pressure switch/sender

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Okay I cant find this stupid thing. My gauge is acting all funny on the dash (92 K1500 Blazer 350 tbi) and I think it needs replaced. My book says it is above the oil filter. Well it isnt. Mine has the oil filter that runs towards the frame versus the one that sits next to the oil pan. Weird set up but I would like to know where it is so I can fix it. And yes it does have the engine oil cooler as well if that makes any difference.

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Never mind, I found it. Was sitting right underneath the distributor. That was no fun!!! Put my mechanical gauge on just to check the pressure, and of course it was low f@$%!!!!! Just want I want to do, an oil pump. I swear I am hating mondays more and more. Every monday for the past month my truck has been breaking, now I guess it is this things turn. Junk em all and get a new truck, lol!!!

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What are you calling low Tom? The TBI's never had nor were intended to have outstanding pressure.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

15 psi idle, 30 under load. Seems pretty low to me, but I could be wrong. I know they never had good oil pressure but this cant be too good for it

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If those are hot numbers then they're ok although I understand your concern, I dislike seeing them that low either even though they are within spec. You could increase the oil viscosity a little to bring them up a few lbs as an easy means. Otherwise you're other option is to pull the pan and add a fresh stock pump throwing an HP spring in it while you're at it.

I'll assume you already know you have to remove the front diff to access the pan.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Yes those numbers were while at operating temp. Guess Im just so used to my 6.0 holding no less than 40 psi. What about a high volume pump with standard pressure?? Melling has a couple nice ones and comes with a new pump shaft with the steel bushing instead of nylon like stock.

I did the oil pan on my 94 2500 4x4 350. Didnt even touch the front diff. Took the inspection cover off the trans, the tie bars from the motor to the trans, starter, oil filter/cooler lines, took the 2 motor mount bolts out and jacked the motor up enough to sneak the pan right out over the diff. It may have been the harder way but it worked good and drove the truck another 2 years before I got rid of it.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Lifting the engine works but it's easier/quicker to pull the diff. Don't even have to completely remove it, just tipping it down gives you enough room to work. But to each their own.

You don't want nor need more volume, just pressure. And volume won't give you much additional pressure anyway, just unneeded volume. That's why you run a stock volume pump with a high pressure spring. $20 for a stock pump and $5 for an HP spring and you'll have the kind of pressures you're used to seeing. Even on a higher mileage engine expect to see around 35-40 PSI hot idle with 10W-40.