1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil pressure question with a 5.3

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mike s 88, Mar 21, 2005.

1. mike s 88

mike s 88 Junior Member

hi could all of you with a 5.3 tell me what pressure you have? mine seems low 20 at idle and just below 40 on the highway. i have test driven alot with higher but mine seems low. thanks, mike

2. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

At idle mine sits just a fraction below 40. At about 65 mph it sits at about 55. 20 does seem a little low. what kind of oil are you using? How many miles on you truck?

3. mike s 88

mike s 88 Junior Member

i have 170 miles on it fresh from the dealer. thanks, mike

4. gottabirdog

gottabirdog Junior Member

You might want to hook up a test gauge that's known to be accurate to see what the actual pressure is. My last truck from day one showed 20 at idle and 40 at higher rpm's. It was actually 40 and 55. Just an inaccurate factory gauge. I stopped worrying and drove it 6 years, 120,000 miles.

5. mike s 88

mike s 88 Junior Member

thanks for the reply. im just affraid of screwing up a 33k truck. but your right it has the 3/36 warranty so i should be covered. thanks again. mike

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Bring it back to the dealer and have them look into it, it should no be down that low at idle... My 2000 1500 Sierra with 90k on it would only drop to just below the 40 line at idle and almost 60 at speed. My new 2500hd is very similar. My guess would be a defective guage, could just need a re-program with the techII.

7. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I'd go right back to the dealer.....on 04 and 05's there were some trucks that have bad guage clusters....

8. CHPL

CHPL Member

Straight From The Shop Manual

Oil Pressure - Minimum - Hot
    41 kPa at 1,000 engine RPM

124 kPa at 2,000 engine RPM

165 kPa at 4,000 engine RPM
    6 psig at 1,000 engine RPM

18 psig at 2,000 engine RPM

24 psig at 4,000 engine RPM

9. mike s 88

mike s 88 Junior Member

thanks for all the info. i hate to sound stuoid but could chpl explain the pressure a little more and is it normal to have alot of silver in the oil of a fresh engine? thanks again. mike

10. CHPL

CHPL Member

The factory often installs oil dye which will give the oil a slight yellowisg look to it. It could be possible that is what you are seeing? Also from the manufacturing process there can be residue that is picked up by the oil.Oil pressure on newer engines usually runs lower than what most people are used to seeing. I know that on the net you can read alot about piston knock and noises most of it is from the clearances in the way the engines are designed they want specific clearances once the engine meets operationg temperature, the engine have different types of metals all expanding and contracting at different rates until your engine warms up. I have worked at a chevy dealer for 18 years now and i will say that the new trucks and powertrains are far superior from what we had 10 years ago. In the late 80's to early 90's I was doing an engine job or head gaskets on a weekly basis. In the last 5 years i have only done 2 small block chevy engines even though i have had many customers complain about the cold knock and swear it was gonna self destruct.