1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil pressure on 93 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bdsean, Dec 8, 2002.

1. bdsean

bdsean Junior Member

please help my oil pressure guage on my 93 2500 is all over the place but the truck seems to run fine is there any sensor or maby guage that could be the problem any info would help

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Bad oil pressure switch. Mike

3. bdsean

bdsean Junior Member

do u know where the switch is located it does not effect the actual oil pressure right just the reading

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Not sure where its located, without having the truck in front of me. Its screwed into the motor though. All it does is operate the dashboard gauge, does not have any affect on the real oil pressure the oil pump is making. Im 99% sure that is your problem since you say the truck seems to run fine and all. Go to local auto parts store, tell them year, make, and model truck and motor size, and they might want to know if you have a gauge on your dash for oil pressure or a light. Buy the new switch and once you get home, and you have the new one in your hand, im sure you can find the old one on the motor by matching what it looks like. I think you need a special socket on some though to unscrew them, not so much special but its big and deep. Mike

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I think they are located just above the oil filter houising, they used to be, maybe they're up on the block just above the main pump channel, i think that is....

6. bdsean

bdsean Junior Member

thanks alot appreciate it

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

As I read in my manual: "the oil pressure sending unit is located above the oil filter housing" I think the Haynes or chiltons manual has a picture of it, mine doesn't. Have fun with that one, thats the most likely cause. If that doesn fix it chen the inst. cluster for bad grounds

8. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Not so fast

Couple things I would point out.

I previously had a 93 K2500. The oil pressure sending unit is from my recollection at the back of the engine on the top, somewhere near the distributer.

In regard to the oil pressure being all over the gauge, does it drop as the engine heats up? If so, you've likely got bearings on the way out in the lower end. You may be able to help oil pressure short term, by switching to a little heavier grade oil, rather than the 5w30 specified, maybe a 10w40. However, ultimately, you may be looking at spending some money.

Hope for your sake, I am wrong, but it may be more than just a faulty sending unit.

You could buy a manual gauge to be sure, that's what I did, and this confirmed that indeed oil pressure, was dropping as temp increased.

Good Luck

9. DarinRay

DarinRay Junior Member

As I read in my manual: "the oil pressure sending unit is located above the oil filter housing" I think the Haynes or chiltons manual has a picture of it, mine doesn't. Have fun with that one, thats the most likely cause. If that doesn fix it chen the inst. cluster for bad grounds

Hey guys,,,I have a question about the instrument cluster grounds..... Actually where are they located? You see I've been having trouble with gauge readouts for some time now and tonight the darn truck 91 gmc 2500 350 was cutting out,,,no trottle response at times. Any thoughts???? Thanks

Darin