1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil Pressure is running low?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MLI, Aug 28, 2003.

1. MLI

MLI Member
    from Boston

I have a 95 F-350 with a 460 engine. Ive been in process of getting truck ready for coming winter. The truck has 105k on it....runs well. This is the second 350 Ive had in recent years and it seems most of the components of the engine fail around 100k.....ie...starter, alt, etc so I replace ratherthan in middle of snow storm. Well...now we have new everything including tranny, and I noticed the oil pressure gauge is running low(seems to bounce a little)...Im wondering if its just an idiot light malfunction, or somethings wrong with oil pump....either way it will be tested. Any of you guys run into this with your trucks? If its an oil pump repair...im imagining big $$$. Im kind of locked into fixing at this point with all the repairs we've done.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I wouldn't worry to much at this point.It's probably just a funky sending unit for the gauge.Get a new one (FORD OEM only),and when you replace it,throw a mechanical gauge on it to see what the oil pressure really is.
  3. bgrover

bgrover Member

I have the same year and engine in a 250 and my needle has acted flaky for the past 2 years. Mine will start of with the needle about in the middle then gradually drop to, or barely below, the low mark in the normal range. Then from time to time it will bounce up then back down.

I had my mechanic hook a mechanical gauge to the engine and the pressure was fine. We replaced the sending unit, I don't think it was a OEM one though, and it worked fine for a month or so then started acting up again. I just ignore it now.
  4. EIB

EIB Senior Member

You could mount a mechanical oil gauge on the dash. They don't cost much and you will always know the correct pressure
  5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Had a similar problem with my f250 replaced the sending unit and its fine now.