1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil pressure gauge problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by steven1213, Mar 10, 2008.

1. steven1213

steven1213 Junior Member

I recently bought a 350 engine (1981 year) from a wrecking yard and when the guy removed it from the van the brass piece that the wire or small tube that comes from the oil pressure gauge broke off flush with the engine surface. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this ? I am not sure if it is threaded into the block or if it is pressed in. If I try to drill it out I fear that the shavings will drop down into the case of the engine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks------Steve

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's threaded in.

Is it up under the distributor or down by the oil filter? If it's near the distributor it'll be 1/8 pipe thread. Down by the filter it'll be 1/4 pipe.

A good quality easy out will usually remove them.

Once you get the broken piece out, the best way to clean the passage of any chips or debris is to crank the engine over for a few seconds before installing the replacement sender (with the ignition disabled). This will pump oil out thru the sender hole, pushing any debris/chips along with it. Have a drain pan handy, they pump a lot of oil in a short time. :nod:

3. steven1213

steven1213 Junior Member

Thanks

Thanks for the help.----Steve

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

Broke

1 tip for the easy out use the spiral type instead of the straight flute style the tend to make less chips ,also a little grease on the easy out will hold most of any chips .

5. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

I had the same exact problem once, used an easy out to get the piece out and then changed the oil to try to get rid of any shavings and the same engine is still running 35,000 mi later.

6. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

The amount of shavings would be so little that it wouldn't even cause a potential problem.......you should see whats in brand new oil that you pour into your motor!!!!