1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil pan question.....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by deluxeco, Dec 4, 2004.

1. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

on a 2000 GMC sierra 4x4 K2500 (older body style) with a 5.7 auto,can you fish the oil pan out to replace it without lifting the engine?it would appear you have enough room to fish it out without too much trouble,the dealer told me the motor needs to come up, I know on my 2001 and up trucks you definitely have to lift the engine.Any help would be great...thanks....

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Looking at my OBS truck I can see no reason why it will not come off. I am curious as to why you need it off though.

3. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

its rusted and oozing oil,another case of my driver not washing under the truck...what's obs?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  4. Tarkus

"OBS" is what they sometimes call 88 thru 99 (and a few HD 2000's) body style (Old Body Style) the 99 and up Silverados are sometimes called NBS (New Body Style) Have your tried snugging them down a bit?

5. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

I dont know how much changed between 91 and 2000, but when i replaced my oil pan on my 91 (rusted and seeping also) I dropped the axle housing, pulled the support struts to the trans, the flywheel cover, and cut the exhaust crossover. It was a PITA to get the pan out near the dipstick tube, an even bigger PITA to get it on. It wasnt supper difficult, but the tube made it harder than it should have- if I were to do it again I would remove the tube.
    I have a 91 K2500 (8600 GVW) with the 5.7 and an Auto .

6. Tarkus

In the later 90's they went to dual down pipes from engine for exhaust with dual CAT's so there is no crossover to deal with.

7. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

Tarkus,I would tighten the bolts but it is the bottom flat portion of the pan near the drain plug thats super scally and oozing oil,i'm afraid it'll pop a hole at 3am and drop a rod,is the dipstick going to be a problem? and is there any gasket tricks I should employ,i was thinking of gluing the gasket to the pan with a slight bit of sealer and letting it set up before i mount it. :confused:

8. Tarkus

If you are worring about punching a hole in pan you should be repalcing it to. Dip stick should still be on block that year so not a issue and yes use a sealant on gasket. I have had grat luck with black RTV gasket sealant and the way I do it when using the stuff is just barely snug it when you install it and let it set for 12 hrs or more before you torque them to 25 to 30 inch pounds