1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil Pan on Cat skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Mick76, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I just picked up a used 248B Cat Skid and I've found a crack in the oil pan. Not a biggy but it is leaking. My question is how hard is it to drop that pan? It looks like I can just remove the back motor mount and the pan will slide out? Is it that easy? There not alot of clearance between the bottom of the pan and the engine compartment floor (maybe an inch to 1 1/2" ) Has anyone done this before?
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

do the skid plates drop off the bottom? Not sure how the Cats are but I have worked on the bottom by removing the skid plates and blocking up the ramps of the trailer, backing it over the gap and using it as a poor mans lift!
  3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the response. I can't drop the plates as there are none... the fuel tank is right there

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I don't think the pan will weasel out, maybe if you pull the mounts and lift the motor. FYI There should be a plate which works great for cleaning out the belly
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Nichols, Thanks and yes there is a belly pan just not a pan where I need it!...LOL
  6. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

not positive, but think you would have a hard time clearing the Crank with the space there.
    FYI, pulling a motor in a B series skid really isnt that hard. we had it done once in about 3 hours. 2 guys having never done that before.
    im thinking this would be necessary to change the pan. just be careful about pinching wiring harnesses.

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Just an update in case anyone "searchs" (ya right) and finds this in the future.... I did change out the pan successfully.... had to take the rear bumper off,the rear motor mount off, and lift the engine slightly up but it can be done..... FYI Have fun with those bolts furthest away from you..... those 6 took me over 1 1/2 hours to get into place (you have to go by feel alone).... other then that it wasn't too bad