1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil pan and trans lines 6.0 F350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 07PSDCREW, Aug 24, 2013.

1. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Hello all. Just thought I'd share. I tackled my 6leakers rotted oil pan and rusty trans lines today. Every damn bolt needed a turbo socket to get it out...pain in the azz! I painted the new oil pan and lines with rustoleum gloss black with a paintbrush the week before. 3 coats should help the pan and lines last a little longer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

3. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Pretty new pan and lines...

[​IMG]

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

how much where the brake lines from ford? I will be needing them too soon on my '05

5. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

If by "brake" lines, you mean the trans lines, my employee cost was 55.00 just for the ones from the trans up the external filter. I think retail they are somewhere around $115.00, not sure but somewhere around there. My lines weren't leaking but were pretty cancerous. Best time to change them is when the oil pan is out....can't get em in there otherwise. (You can but it won't be pretty)

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I will have to be doing them to i'm sure already had to fix a leak from the cooler near the elbow in the front. nice to be able to do it on a lift .

7. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Damn your truck looks mint on the outside. Do you have any pictures of the old oil pan? I'm curious to see how rusty it was. I don't think mine was rusty the last time i looked under the truck.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That trucks barely rusted. I did back brakes on my 99 - 5.4 today. Every where I look there is rust. It would be so nice to have a lift.

9. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Ha ha.. Two months ago I went to use my Ebrake....it went right to the floor. I drove it for a few weeks till I had time to fix it. Turns out the backing plates rotted through and the shoe pins came out. The backing plate fell apart in my hands. Ford has complete backing plates....$$$. just install the Ebrake cable and install a new seal for the full floating axle. Good to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I still have the pan. I forgot to take a picture of the old one in place... I got engrossed in getting out the rotted bolts. (Thank god for turbo sockets!) It was rotted on the lowest part, right side of the bubble. 1-1.5 qts every 50 miles it was leaking.

11. MickiRig1

That's funny!
    I found that I have no parking brake parts left. The last ****** that owned it removed it all.
    The only thing there is, are little levers floating in the water seal. Not even hooked to the cables. The backing plates are so rusted the shoes would hang up. One is not square to the caliper bracket. Looks like big fun to change them out. Pull axles, new seals, totally rusted bolts and nuts. I bought the hardware kit, must be missing important parts.
    I love my truck, till I have to work on it! Nothing is easy!

12. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Ain't that the truth!
    I'm not sure without seeing it in person, but if you bought the complete hardware kit, you may just be missing the adjuster barrel and the mechanical adjuster arm. The kits usually include new pins, springs and holddowns...pretty much everything needed.

13. MickiRig1

I have the adjuster star wheel. The hold down clips and return springs. No adjuster shoe. Just has no way to engage shoes or a pivot point for the little lever thing connected to cable...My manual shows a vague picture. Went to library,Pro Motors manual shows same picture! Mechanics at work no help!

14. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Well, I am a Ford Technician... What exact truck are we talking about?? I know you said 99 5.4 is it an f150...f350 etc.? I assume 4wd. I'll tell ya what ur missing.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  15. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

16. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

you will be good to go now you did not have to pull the motor all the way out

17. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Nope just pull motor mount nuts and jack the motor up about 2 inches. That gave just enough clearance.

18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

so you would really need a lift to do the oil pan to be able to reach everything well. I sure the dealer gets a good $$$ for that .

19. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

You can do it on the ground with a couple ramps and a floor jack with a block of wood. I get 6 hours (+/- 600$ labor) to change a 6 liter oil pan at my dealership. If the bolts aren't rotted, I can have it done in 2 hours. My own pan took almost 6 hours...lol.

20. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I doing the rear brakes on my truck now and hit a snag as the replacement calipers that I put in a few years ago are now junk and have to get new ones what a way to put a damper on the day.