1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil leaks on new fittings?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Canadian2a, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Canadian2a

Canadian2a Junior Member

Was I supposed to use teflon tape or do anything special when putting new quick connects/hoses/fittings on new rams?

I've gone back and re-tightened everything a couple of times now,but still seem to have leaks.Afraid to tighten any more.

Its a old Western 6.5 foot blade and A-frame BTW.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Teflon tape

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Aren't they jic fittings? And I thought you weren't supposta use any teflon tape, just tighten up

4. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You can ask 10 people and get 10 opinions.

People blamed teflon for getting into pumps and stuff and blocking passages. All you need is one single layer counter clockwise.

That being said, I actually don't think I used teflon on the western pump fittings.

5. dieselss

I'll agree bout the 10 answers. But I thought jic fittings sealed b/c of the done shape? Therefore no fluid would get to the threads? I could be mistaken tho

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

JIC and ORB fitting should not have teflon tape or any other type of thread sealer. Jic use a flare to seal and ORB uses an o ring and a nut therefor thread sealant is pointless since the thread has nothing to do with the sealing of the fitting. . Now the older pumps used a FIP and MIP threads, these require a thread sealer.

7. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Thanks for clearing that up. It would be nice if there was a standard

8. dieselss

Thx kimber

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

No problem. Thumbs Up

10. Canadian2a

Canadian2a Junior Member

Seems to be sorted.I had a spare quick connect that I swapped in and I gave the other two another good wrenching!

Spent about 30 mins cleaning up the driveway and no leaks so far.

Thanks!

11. Canadian2a

Canadian2a Junior Member