1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by alternative, Jan 31, 2005.

1. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

got a 92 Gmc Sierra.. with an oil pan leak.. ()NOT GASKET.. oil panis rusted.. need a quick fix..since its4x4 and a pita. to remove pan.. any suggestions//thanks
  2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Try the JB Weld. I have heard guys using it for that. Obviously make sure the surface is clean. Good luck.
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

JB weld if its in the middle of a storm and you HAVE to go out. I believe if you yank the mounts and just rais it part of the way out. I *think*, been awhile since i have been under a s10 4x4.

JMO but fix it right and replace the pan.

Edit: if your going to JB weld it drain the oil, hose the hell outa it with brake clean and scuff it with a wire brush, if your pan is rusting through its going to be very weak all over, be carefull and get it fixed right ASAP!
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  4. alternative

i know i could do myself... just a matter of when.. into some other things right now, and weather is not great outside 20' for working under truck for (my guess-a whole day)... wondering if it will be ok till spring.. pan is rusted.. not like there is a huge whole in it.just leaking more than it used to. hate to spend up to $500 for the labor... when if i wait about a month i could do it.. What do you think??
  5. ratlover

from IL

patching it is a gamble. think about what hapens if you are in the middle of a storm and it lets lose? You are risking taking out a motor or at worse having a OMG no oil pressure shut her down kinda moment. I cant see it......you may be able to patch it and its a localized spot and the jb weld holds that one little hole closed and you may run it for 5 more years......or you may have a take a chunk outa your pan and lose all your oil.

I dont like to 1/2 ass things most times. I wouldnt want to pop a motor. But i have know of guys taking a rock to a pan and whittling a wooden plug and pounding it into oil pan to get them home......sometimes a redneck engineered fix will hold, sometimes it wont but you gota be prepared for what happens if it dosnt.

Also I would make sure you have a FUNCTIONING oil pressure GAUGE. screw the idiot light. If you notice a slight drop in oil pressure from normal shut it down and CHECK IT!!!! and if you notice your motor ticking at all shut it down and CHECK IT!!!
  6. alternative

i totally agree and am against the redneck engineering.. half ass jobs... but just hate to pay someone something for something i can do when the weather is right (like aprill) but dont know if it will wait>>?? RISKY....
  7. ratlover

from IL

just like a game of poker, you may come out ahead, you may break even, you may lose. duno what to tell ya man :confused:
  8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

You have to do it sometime, and If you dont want to do it now, save yourself the bet and just get it fixed asap. Then you wont be worried in a storm and It'll be fixed and wont have to worry about it....

Im not a gambler. And sense it HAS to get done, just get it taken care of before it gets worse. What if all your oil went cuput? Then it'd suck and you'd be out atleast $1500 for a new engine.

9. alternative

Rat-- anything else i should have done while in the shop.. while the engine is sortof out of the truck../? i did notice a slight leak from the right seal of the front axel..on the diff.. replace?? oh well ..this project is already costing $400 so i might as well get it all fixed up and save me any future headaches..
  10. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Use PC7 to patch the pan it I had it on a ford doe 10 years.
  11. ratlover

from IL

if your going to yank the pan about the only other thing I may be apt to have em do is to swap the oil pump, should only be an extra 30-50$, I duno if its really neccisary though. Oil pumps dont ussually really go bad, and its the spring that starts getting weak that cause quite a few problems anway. Oh......depending what your motor mounts are like might wana look at them dudes also

If its just a localized spot you may be fine with a patch......its just really hard to say especially without seeing it and I'd hate to say "yeah your fine" and have it disintigrate on you.

POWERBAND Member

Oil patches

My previous Chevy was an '85 with a 305. I never heard of an oilpan rusting through but sure enough it was a small hole probably from road salt splash. The hole was on the right side a little ways up the side. I pulled a replacement pan off a junker but since it was winter decided to patch until I could fix.
    I cleaned the area real well with degreaser and ether (after draining pan) and applied JB weld. After two years I sold the truck but never did get around to replacing that pan.

PB :cool:
  13. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

i have had great luck with a sealent called seal all its in a yellow tube and works great for the crap ive used it on. but like everyone has said its a gamble and are you willing to lose money when the snow starts to fall?