1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil leak

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DCS MN, Mar 13, 2010.

1. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

I have an 02 7.3 that just recently started leaking oil after the last oil change from the dust cover for the torque converter and starter. Is this the rear main seal? It just turned 100xxx miles and hasn't ever leaked a thing.
    Now there is a small puddle on the garage floor.
  2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Rear main seals rarely leak on the 7.3- Check your oil cooler and also check the filter itself where it seals. The plugs in the back of the heads leak sometimes.
  3. nycpsd

nycpsd Junior Member
    from nyc/pa

Most likely coming from the valley at the top of the motor from turbo pedestal o-rings leaking or Hpop (High pressure oil pump) o-rings leaking when it reaches the back of the valley there are small clean out holes in the back and the oil leaks down the back of the motor
  4. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

the oil cooler is off to the side, the filter attaches to it. Chances are that if you have a leak coming through the converter shield, its coming from up above. As Fisherman said, it could be one of the plugs on the back of the heads, or it could also be coming from the turbo pedestal. They have a tendency to leak from the exhaust back pressure valve.

I have the exact same problem right now with my 7.3 and I need to pull the turbo, just not looking forward to it.
  5. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

Thanks for the help, I will lok into it tomorrow.:mechanic:
  6. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

same problem with my truck right now to, puddle keeps getting bigger and bigger, i took my lower cover off, and dry in the bell housing, its coming from the top on mine, need to find where from now
  7. cbeard

cbeard Member

I have a 97 F-350 with 85000 miles on it doing the same thing. A diesel mechanic told me that I could have some bad O-rings on the injectors. Is this possible?
  8. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

that would not cause an external leak, injectors under the valve cover, now bad inj o-rings could put oil in fuel or fuel in the oil
  9. damian

damian Senior Member

let me guess,the oil is mostly starter side bottom of flywheel pan.you need to check the valley (top of engine) the high pressure pump fitting o-rings leak oil into valley and it drains out the drain hole in the rear passenger side of the block and makes you think it is a rear main leak,check it out and see if their is oil below the fuel filter housing-engine valley.
  10. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

I have been busy and haven't spent much time on it but that sounds like the one. I will check it tomorrow.
  11. damian

damian Senior Member

you can replace the o rings without removal of the pump,ford sells o ring kit,good luck