1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil leak.. bad..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alternative, Jan 31, 2005.

1. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

probably in the wrong forum ..but ..have a 92 gmc sierra p/u with a pretty serious oil pan leak...and not the gasket.. the pan is literally rusting out.. have a mechanic freind who once told me that they are a pain to replace due to being 4x4..just wondered if there were a quick fix.. JB weld?? or something to do to stop leak..thanks

JPMAKO Senior Member

I patched mine last year and the beginning of this year with High Temp RTV.
    You would probably be better off using JBWeld or Quicksteel.
    Ultimately you should do as I did and get it replaced!
    When I had mine done they did the Pan and Gasket along with the Oil Pump.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

See'ing how Michigan is not going to have snow for a few day's ,if not weeks, why not just get er done? Or do yourself. Mechanics can be like a doctor. Tell you the worse give you a few pill's and charge mucho $$$. Yes it is a pain. If you do not have a lift it is even more of a pain. But ya gots to do what ya got's to do. A patch may let loose in the cold and leave you with a froze motor.

An I don't mean cold.
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Ouch. I'd say just bite the bullet and replace it. Piece of mind.
  5. alternative

really??? do you think i could wait till spring>>>? its not losing a ton of oil.. as it reads... hardly any.(you know how oil is..the smallest drip can look like a lot when its on the concrete). was hoping to wait untill the weather breaks and do it myself.. save about $500 -- just hope the leak doesnt get too severe (right before a storm)---- Decisions? decisions? decisions?//// please give any experieced advicE! thanks
  6. John from OH

John from OH Member

"Decisions? decisions? decisions?//// please give any experieced advicE! thanks"

You'll sleep better and never regret being prepared for the next snow. You will think that $500 is real inexpensive if your pan lets go right at the beginning of a big storm and ruins your motor. Just had one of mine replaced before the start of winter at the first sign of a leak. One less thing that can go wrong.
  7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Just get it replaced. I'd rather spend the money to have a new pan put on than to pay for a new motor.
  8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Nothing will hold for long. I even went so far as to braze up a few pinholes in a pan. Still kept breaking thru. If there is one pinhole, you can bet that if you clean it up enough to make something stick there will be many pinholes hiding under the remnants of paint and sludgy crap.

New pans are dirt cheap for these SBC's. Just do it and you'll be glad you did. You won't have to worry about it again until engine rebuild time or longer.
  9. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

Nothing is worth doing halfway. Don't half-ass it....FIX it.
  10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I had to do mine 3 years ago , it was a real pain and I have a lift , worst part is front axle has to come out . If you dont have acess to a lift you may want to pay the mechanic.
  11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the oil is the heart of the truck system buy a new pan and and gasket i wouldnt chance it
  12. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

If it was me. I'd pull the engine. Then tune up and repair anything else while you have easy access to it. Just a thought.
  13. alternative

took it to a shop yesterday... cost $400.00..all parts, labor, etc..
    also i noticed one of the seals on the front axel leaking slightly.. ? should i just have them do that too.. even though the mech..said he wont have to drop the front axel to do the job.. anything else you think i should have repaired while this job is being done..?thanks