1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil in Coolant

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PremierLand, Nov 25, 2004.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Well, from my other post, you guys can see what my problem is, I was loosing oil, wasnt burning any out the exhaust and nothing on the ground... I decided to look in the coolant, and it was dark, so ya, I have oil in the coolant..

SUCKS DOESNT IT!!!

Im going to get it looked at more tommarow.... If I have to replacit, ill replace the 302 with a 351....

But if I do that, Ill probably need a new tranny, which means I just threw like $3500 getting the tranny rebuilt, rear main, front main and a bunch of other stuff put on.

Sucks doesnt it? I really got ripped off on this truck.

Ive ended up paying $7000 so far, and before its all said and done it'll probably be a 10k truck. Im pist because I could have gotten a 99 f250 with a plow for 12k :( I wasnt planning on having to do anywork to this truck when I got it ($3500)... oh well, live and learn...

but ya, oil in the coolant... this sucks real real bad :(

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Whoa there, this may only be a bad head gasket. Don't worry about having to replace the engine yet.

3. PremierLand

from detroit

thats true... but the engine does have 128k miles on it.

how much do you think it is to replace a bad head gasket? part wise, no labor because ill be doing it with my dad (he was a mechanic for several several years).

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Not sure of the cost, and it may be a problem where they installed the front cover if you say they did the front seal. I did the front of my Dodge recently and know that you need to seal the bolts or may get coolant leaking into oil. I asuppose this could happen with othere gaskets gone bad too. Someone more knowledable could help you more, like Tarkus. He seems to be very good at this. If you had no problem with oil loss before the work you had done, maybe you should bring it to their attention and ask them to check the coolant for exhaust emissions. I believe that is how they decide if it's a blown head gasket, or cracked cylinder. Try not to expect the worst till you have them test it. Good luck.

I just noticed you said you'd do it yourself. Gaskets are not expensive.

5. PremierLand

from detroit

Well, thats true. But about no oil loss before, I dont know because when i bought it, I drove it 100miles and then had to get a rear main, then 300miles later the tranny rebuild & other stuff, and now (600miles later) this....

well tommarow im taking it over to my dads so I'll know more tommarow. Hopefully it isnt going to cost too much, or take to long because I was planning on getting the plow put on next weekend, but maybe that'll have to wait. Oh well.

Hoepfully tarkus can chime in on this thread :)

6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It may be more than a head gasket and even it it is a head gasket, they do not blow for no reason or just because they are old either.

7. PremierLand

from detroit

my dads thinking perhaps a cracked block... but again, were working on it tommarow, so ill know more tommarow night :)

8. Tarkus

I would think a cracked head or block or the head is warped. Has this engine been over heated any?

9. PremierLand

from detroit

its actually been running very cold. around the N in Normal or below that. the oil i put in today has stayed there (in the crank)

10. Tarkus

Well I hope for the best for you but oil in water is not usually a good sign. Usually you get water in oil with a blown headgasket.

11. PremierLand

from detroit

thank you thank you....

maybe ill be getting a 351 to replace that 302 if its that bad :)

12. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Yea, I also agree with the head gasket theory. If the truck had overheated it gould blow the gasket or possibly warp the head as Tarkus said. Since your engine probably has cast iron heads I would say that you shouldn't have warped heads but anything is possible. If it is just a head gasket you will probably be looking at a couple hundred bux for a top end gasket kit. You may have to buy new head bolts because I believe Ford uses stretch bolts. They can only be used once. That can throw you back for another $60.00 to $100.00 or so. Make certain to check the t-stat and see that it is operating correctly. Just because the eng. is operating at normal temps now doesn't mean it always has. Also check for evidence the previous owner put a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator for use in the winter months. I used to do this and forgot to remove the sheet once. Blew the head gasket on one of my GMC's. Cost me about $300.00 in parts and took about 6 hours to do one night with some friends and some :drinkup: . I love :drinkup:

13. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

First of all, a stock gauge on the truck is useless. If you want to know the temperature of the truck, put a aftermarket mechanical gauge. Why would you have to replace the transmission? Unless I'm mistaken, the engines should have the same bolt pattern unless it's a 351C or 351M? That's assuming the engine is junk, which has been said already that it may not be.

14. PremierLand

from detroit

Well the oil pump screen filter was extremly dirty, so i replaced that, and the pump too... then im going to run a compression test... I think that maybe it was just leaking oil like alot of fords do and I didnt realise this because I wasnt aware of it until now... it has been holding the oil for now, so i think it was just leaking a little at a time out the exhaust or something like alot of fords do, but I wasnt aware of this problem... Anyway, ill know more tommarow. Hopefully this is all it is.

Oh, and it wasnt oil in the coolant, it was just old dirty coolant.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  15. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i just did a head gasket on my inline and it only gaskets i needed were the head, vavle cover, and hedder/intake. Spent a good day doing it because i did a three angle valve job also. Maybe a 100 bucks at most for gaksets. And the bellhousings are the same for 351w, 302 and the inline six.

The head gasket can take a **** because of old age, my six was spotless on the inside. The head gasket was missing a chunk right at the #1 cyl about half the size of a pencil eraser. Fixed everything and it ran great. I never had coolant in oil or vice versa though.

16. Tarkus

Personall I never lost a headgasket or seen one lost on a street vehical that was not overheated in it life sometime. Straight 6 bannger heads can be bad about warping when they are allowed to get too hot.