1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil in air filter box

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WHITE=GREEN, Dec 11, 2001.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

upon a recent inspection of my air filter ive noticed a small amount of engine oil laying in the bottom of my air box. i cleaned it out and a week later i checked again and it was back again. my first idea was to check the pcv valve but my truck (97' , F-350 , 460, auto, 48,000 miles) doesnt have one. any ideas what may be going on? does not seem to have loss of power or use oil. thanks in advance for any ideas/help.
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

It has a PCV system. Probably just a vacuum tube somewhere going into the bottom of the carb.

A sludged up engine will also let oil from the crankcase air intake pipe back up into the filter. So can a well-worn (read: excessive blowby) engine.
  3. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

My 90 F250,460 5 speed has a pcv. Looking at motor, left sideleft rear of valve cover, gottatake a close look, but it should be there.

"Give me a cold front and a warm rear!"
    Tim McGonigal
    Atco, NJ
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That should be the cause of the problem. I have seen this on quite a few motors. Not just Fords.