1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil for pump

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by eric_mc, Oct 20, 2009.

1. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

Just bought a used Unimount Standard 7.5, Going to change the oil - I don't have the original manual or anything. There is a sticker on the pump that states use ATF....but I have read others say hydraulic oil only....is it the same thing?

Don't have a Western dealer near by - and would rather not spend $30 for a quart of oil x 2 plus shipping....
  2. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

You can get all the Western manuals on line - download for free.

It does say ATF is okay, and that's what I've always used.
  3. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

I got a old conventional ( 30 yrs) All i have ever used is Type F atf.
    No problems yet.:D
  4. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

nice - thanks guys.
  5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

ATF all the way.
  6. MarkG

MarkG Junior Member

Just want to clarify - your using 'Automatic Transmission Fluid' ????? Not hydraulic?
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

ATF was fine in the older cable controlled pumps, and will work in the uni-mount. For faster performance, less drain on the battery, increased pump longevity flush the system with Hyra-flush and refill with a premium plow fluid.

There are many posts on this subject. Do a search, I think you 'll find the Pro techs all agree, ATF is for transmissions.
  8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

atf will work just fine. as basher stated, it runs slow and gets thick in low temps. western oil part no 49311 is less than $11 per quart. aircraft grade and good to -25 deg.

any napa store should have an equal rated "plow" oil. aviod atf if possible, but in most plows it will work fine.
  9. JDMJR

JDMJR Junior Member

Eric Mc - Here in Gloucester we use fish oil. Plenty of it and ther'll be no mistaking the various types of ATF out there, you can tell by the smell.