1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil cooler line ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PTTP08, Dec 25, 2010.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I started my 92 chev 2500 in the parking lot of the burger joint after dinner and I noticed no oil presure and I shut the truck down. I looked under the truck and there lies about 4 quarts of oil. I had the truck towed home and cleaned every thing up and seen these stupid a#@ quick disconnect thingers it pop off. I pushed it back on and refilled oil and started it and no leaks. Is there a better engineered product for this? Or solution to this? Been driving down the road for the past 2 months looking at my gauge more than the dam road. I like the thought of a oil cooler but I just don't want to do a engine swap over a quick disconnect.

2. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Did you have some work done that involved removing this line prior to the blow off? These lines are held in with snap rings and there is no way for them to blow off if they are seated properly. More often than not the crimp fitting where it goes from steel to rubber fails and lets the line blow off.

3. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

had a similar problem, you can delete the oil cooler in general and run with out, however i would want one on a plow truck because there is no way i would want to get the lower end warmer than need there is already heat that is trapped down there that cant leave all that fast.

4. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

No there was no work done on the truck I do all the work on the truck and I have'nt done a thing to it in months. But I remember hitting a HUGE Minnesota pot hole earlier in the day so I am assuming this had something to do with it now that I think about it. Is there a better quality oil line out there on the market? I just want the best for old truck.lol

5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i replaced both of mine with napa and have been olding up for 3+ years driving around 500 miles a week pluse plowing

6. mmaddox

mmaddox Member

The aluminum lines are problematic. Have been changing them all out. Start at the filter base that is bolted to the block, remove it and change to a base that uses hoses that go thru a 2 quart filter on a remote mount base, then on to the cooler. Gains oil capacity, more filtering, and gets rid of that hard to get to stock oil filter.