1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by L.I.Mike, Jan 27, 2005.

1. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

After plowing for 29 hours this past storm, most of it heavy pushing, I noticed I was a little over a quart low in the motor. It was full when I started because I had just changed it. This is the first real storm with any significant snow using this truck so I am hoping its because it was working hard.
    The truck has 118000 miles on it and has never used any oil normally. I have been all over the motor and no drips or leaks.

How much oil did you go through with big snowfalls like this.

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I dont burn any more buuuuuut.......

Working a vehical hard is more likely to burn oil. Opperating at higher RPMs than normal and with higher cylinder pressure from running it harder(foot in the throttle) makes it harder for the oil control systems in a motor to work properly and if they are worn a bit from age expect a bit more ussage. IMO especially if you notice your truck burns a bit when worked check all the fluids before you go out, check em mid way(heck when you stop for munchies and fuel) and when you are done. Keep spare fluid with you.

I wouldnt be worried, just showing the athe motor has some age. I would change the PCV valve though for grins. Or atleast take it out, see if it is free and such and run some brake cleaner through it.

3. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Oil usage

I can run a quart of oil through my burban in about an hour. Highway speeds and pushing her just a little (75).

If you get on it really hard when taking off, it camoflages itself.

Didn't notice if you have ford or chevy. If it's a chevy, it's normal.

Jeff