1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil changes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wirenut, Jan 22, 2010.

1. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

how many miles between oil & filter changes do you guys go, and does anyone go by hrs?
    me i still do 3000 or if the vehicle has been sitting 4 or 5 months i'll change it.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I change my oil monthly on my plow trucks, during the winter. In the summer, I change them every 3,000, or before winter again, since a couple of my trucks only get used for plowing. Now if ( and mind you it's a huge if) we would get enough snow to go out many times in the same month,( I am talking more than 7 or 8) I would change the oil every 7 to 10 events.

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I've always used Mobil 1, but for the last several years I have been using the Mobil 1 extended performance and a longer life oil filter - 7,500 mi. So I change the oil at the end of the filters life, or close to it.

4. CJSLAWNSERVICE

CJSLAWNSERVICE Senior Member

every 12-15 thousand with Amsoil synthetic

5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

In my opinion oil changes are cheap maintenance.
    every 3000 miles or 6 months

6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

every time we have a nice day . after 5-6 plows I think the $15 is well worth the $500-$1500 a motor . than t-case, tranny and diff once a year

7. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Engine oil every 3000-5000. Front and rear diff and t-case every year. Trans every 30,000

8. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

i do every 5,000 in the summer and go once a month during plowing season

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

10K with Mobil 1 My jeeps have had 250K, 120K , 175K ,and working great when I sold them. My current Jeep has 133K and still running strong.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Every 3K for oil and filter

11. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I have my oil tested by Blackstone once a month. My truck generally requires oil changes every 7-10K but I did have some Rotella conventional that ran almost 30K.

12. prostk2

prostk2 Member

2,500 miles/3 months rotate tires every other oil change. trans and t-case--every 20k, diffs every 10-15k depending on how much plowing/towing I have done.
    I don't know about anyone else but the Chicago area needs some snow or ice---been slow for awhile!!!
    Good luck everyone!!!

13. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Oil ever 3000-5000, running mobile1 and thier extended life filter (which seems to be working well) so I may go 7,500 on this change.

I do the transmission every 6 months (before and after plowing season). Transfer case and both diffs get done every year with synthetic fluids

14. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

wow a wide range.. interesting
    i just saw a oil test device on tv
    thought it was a scam with the
    milage claim but seeing some of
    these maybe testing is the way to go.

15. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

No thanks, I don't need to worry about what's in my engine other than oil.:D

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on what an oil change costs you. I can change mine for that money.......

18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Halloween, Christmas, Easter, July 4th. No matter the mileage/use.

19. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Not to question you intellegence, but for $22.50 a month I could just change my oil and know I had brand new oil in it all the time.

20. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Anyone go by the oil life meter?