1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil change

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Turkey, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Turkey

Turkey Member

I'm working on changing the plow oil and had a couple of questions/comments.

1. the return screen is on a tube that slides onto the main return tube. Looks like the oil would come out the tube joint before the screen. I just found this to be an odd design, that's all.

2. everything around the pump has a sludge film on it, should I be cleaning all this up? If so what do I used to clean it? Carb cleaner?

3. as long as I have everything apart, want to figure out how to change the electric motor so I know how to when I need to. How is the motor attached to the pump base?

Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Barns pumps have used those style screens for years and years, although you may not think so they work great as is for catching most of the debris. Fortunately the valves are also screen protected which is why you seldom have contamination issues on the Boss's.

Spray the pump and reservoir out with brake clean until it's squeaky clean. Do not use carb cleaner, it's hard on the seals.

To remove the motor simply remove the two long through bolts. Will slip right off.

3. Turkey

Turkey Member

Finally got time to finish the fluid flush. I had to use a rubber mallet to tap the reservoir back onto the base, is this normal or do I not have something put back together correctly inside. Also, is it really necessary to remove the wing cylinders and dumps them out? I only had about a cup of oil out of the two cylinders.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you apply a light coating of grease to the reservoir o-ring they slide on nicely but you also have to be sure the pickups are orientated correctly or they'll get squashed by the reservoir as you go on. Hope you had them right.

The wing cylinders hold very little fluid in the vee position but removing all the fluid you can is still important. It's your call but yes I either pull them if they need flushed or draw the remaining fluid out with a suction pump if it still looks decent.

5. Turkey

Turkey Member

I didn't try grease, had a pretty good oil film. The pickup screen had a flat area on it already where it rested on the bottom of the tank. The issued seemed more with the disc on the end of the pump than the screens. I have a spare set so I'm good if one got damaged.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The screens will be flat so no fear there. Many guys replace them thinking that they're damaged. Only to find the next time they remove it the screens flat again. :D