1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil change

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Land Design, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Land Design

Land Design Member

Just wondering........I recently bought a new 2002 f350 diesel. I wanted to know when diesel owners where doing/ did their first oil change. Also how often after that are you changing the oil, and is anybody using synthetic? amsoil? The truck is currently pulling a trailer once a week and will be used for plowing and salting. In the spring it will be trailering all week.

Thanks for the help

Land Design :confused:
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite!:drinkup:

I made my initial oil change at 1000 miles, and then at 5000 and every 5000 after that. I've read threads on another forum of guys who have their oil tested regularly and are running 5800 miles with conventional oil and 13,000 to 15,000 with Amsoil. I use Rotella T.

Check out Dieselstop , formerly Ford-Diesel for more info. It's a site dedicated to Ford diesels and you'll find lots of discussions on this topic, including Amsoil. Look for Bob Riley's posts, he's an Amsoil dealer, and great to do business with. I got synthetic hydraulic fluid from him to run in my plows.
  3. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

Also try this site. www.ford-trucks.com/ I've found alot of use full info, including a drain set-up for draining the water out of the water/fuel seporator without getting fuel all over the truck and ground.
  4. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Land Design,

Vary the throttle frequently in the first 1000 mi or so to help break in the rings. I changed the oil after the first 3000 mi then every 5000 afterwards. Got 80K mi on it in 27 mos.. I plow, tow 10K almost daily, Drag race and it runs stronger than ever. I use Delvac and have never had a problem. I feel better changing every 5K with regular oil than putting in Synthetic and going longer.

Congrats on the new truck:drinkup:

When you're ready to give it some real power, let me know:D

5. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

First change around 3000 miles. When I was using regular oil I changed at 5K. Now with the Amsoil I change at 10K.

Pelican I am what Amsoil calls a commercial dealer. I can buy Amsoil for my own use cheaper than what the resale dealers can. But I cannot resale at all. If I did and Amsoil found out I would lose the commercial dealer license. Works good for me. Just this week I ordered oil from their website. 2 or 3 days later UPS delivered it to my house.
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've got a commercial account as well, through Bob Riley as mentioned. I don't know if he gets a cut or not, but he's very knowlegeable of his product.
  7. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

I got set up on their web site, so I can order when ever I want. With out having to call my sponsoring dealer. Works really slick for me.
  8. Land design, Congratulations on the new truck. Good luck with it, it should be very dependable.
    I changed my oil in the two PSDs at 1500 miles and every 3000 after that. It is a conservative maintainence schedule compared to most, but lord willing they will last me a while.

A word of caution...

Be very carefull if you go to a quick lube place or a service station for an oil change. A friend of mine just went to a local Chevron station for an oil change, he had to pay extra for the Shell Rotella 15W-40. The guy who changed the oil then used regular non-diesel type (gasser) oil thinking it didn't matter, and that my friend would never know the difference. The truck was goofed up after that, it blew white smoke and could hardly could pull itself. It wouldn't idle without holding the pedal down part way.

Well $360.00 later the dealership asked when he last changed the oil, and thats when they found the problem. He changed the oil again and that pretty much fixed it. It actually takes two oil changes to get all the gasser oil out as the engine retains three quarts in it.
    The reason it does this is the diesel oil has an anti-foaming agent in it. The injectors work off of oil pressure and the gasser oil developes air bubbles which in turn lowers injector pressure.

Again Good luck Bob
  9. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

Just remember, whomever changes the oil, precharge the oil filter with oil. If you don't, you will have a few seconds of no oil pressure until the oil pump can fill the filter up with 2 quarts of oil.
  10. Land Design

Land Design Member

thanks for all the help, forgot to ask though..............if you change it yourself are you also greasing the joints yourself or letting a oil change place do that?

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I think the only place you'll find a grease fitting is the tie rod end, I'm not even sure those have them. I don't know why Ford doesn't put greasable u-joints and ball joints in at the factory, it would add only 50 cents to each piece's cost.
  12. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

if you cant grease em', they will eventually wear out and you'll have to change them. more money for the big guys.